Ignition 8.0.6 Main Windows turning into Folders!

I am developing a new project in Ignition 8.0.6 and this issue has happened to me numerous times. Every time I re-open my project to continue working, most, if not all of my windows turn into folders in the Project Browser and all of my work is essentially GONE!
When this first occurred, I was still using 8.0.5 and I read that it was a bug fixed in the latest version 8.0.6, well that does not appear to be the case… I have upgraded a week ago to the latest version and this STILL happens. What’s the deal with this?

For anyone who has ran into this issue, make sure you backup your gateway before you Save & Exit! You will need to restore the gateway the next time you open your project…

The windows that turned into folders aren’t gone, the data is still there.

If you go to: C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition\data\projects\PROJECT\com.inductiveautomation.perspective\views and enter the folder of the “gone” view, you’ll find that the resource.json file is empty (or full of NULL characters). Go to another view’s folder (one that isn’t broken). Copy resource.json from the good view into the broken view’s folder.

1 Like

I recently had this happen to me on Ignition 8.1.14 beta. I discovered that our Ignition server storage had completely filled up from a SQL server log file issue. When working on a remote designer if you attempt to save a Vision Window or Vision Template and your Ignition server storage is maxed out, they will change into empty folders.

I know this is an edge case but just in case anyone is having Vision resources change to folders this may be why.

2 Likes