[Ignition 8.0.7-15783] BUG : init.heap/max.heap settings not updated in vision-client-launcher.json

@Paul.Scott
Ignition 8.0.7 and probably Ignition 8.0.8 nightly, when I add a project in the client launcher, the vision-client-launcher.json user file is created with

"init.heap": null,
      "max.heap": null,

"applications": [
    {
      "project": "STVG_GTC",
      "allow.windowed.launching": null,
      "allow.fullscreen.launching": null,
      "name": "STVG_GTC",
      "description": null,
      "main.class": "com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.runtime.ClientLaunchHook",
      "gateway.info": {
        "gateway.name": "Ignition-TVG-GTC01",
        "gateway.address": "http://10.1.3.10:8088",
        "redundant.gateways": [
          "http://10.1.3.11:8088"
        ]
      },
      "window.mode": null,
      "timeout": 30,
      "screen": null,
      "retries": -1,
      "sun.java2d.d3d": null,
      "sun.java2d.noddraw": null,
      "jvm.arguments": [],
      "last.updated": 1578920833391,
      "client.tag.overrides": {},
      "image.path": null,
      "fallback.application": "",
      "use.custom.jre": false,
      "custom.jre.path": "${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java"
    }
  ]

If I manually export the config, I have in the exported vision-client-launcher.json

"init.heap": 1024M,
      "max.heap": 4096M,

If I use a command to launch my application

.\visionclientlauncher.exe gateway.address=10.1.3.10:8088:8043 application=STVG_GTC project=STVG_GTC window.mode=fullscreen screen=0 show.closebutton=false -Djavaws.launchparams="modeMurImage" -Djavaws.launchparam.modeMurImage=0

The client has only 256 Mo of memory

If I add init.heap=1024M max.heap=4096M

.\visionclientlauncher.exe gateway.address=10.1.3.10:8088:8043 init.heap=1024M max.heap=4096M application=STVG_GTC project=STVG_GTC window.mode=fullscreen screen=0 show.closebutton=false -Djavaws.launchparams="modeMurImage" -Djavaws.launchparam.modeMurImage=0

The client has only 256 Mo of memory available :

bug_2

If I manually modify the user file vision-client-launcher.json

The client has 4096Mo of memory available as requested by the project/client launcher settings

I think there is a bug in the client launcher : the vision-client-launcher.json is not updated for memory settings

I’ve noticed this too.

@mazeyrat @jpark Thanks for the report. Just to confirm, if you launch a client using the GUI in the client launcher, does that client use the expected heap settings?

I need to check it tomorrow. I don’t remenber if I have tested this case before or after I’had manually corrected the user vision-client-launcher.json

Just to clarify, those values remaining null is expected. Those are local overrides to the defaults provided by the gateway for the project. Specifying them in the json overrides those defaults. Those values should be respected at launch so this still sounds like a bug in your scenario. just wanted to clarify the behavior of the json.

@jcoffman, @Paul.Scott

When the application is launched from the vision client launcher with the following value in the vision-client-launcher.json

The client use the project property and in my case the max.heap = 4096M

But If I add init.heap=1024M max.heap=4096M in the command line:

.\visionclientlauncher.exe gateway.address=10.1.3.10:8088:8043 init.heap=1024M max.heap=4096M application=STVG_GTC project=STVG_GTC window.mode=fullscreen screen=0 show.closebutton=false -Djavaws.launchparams="modeMurImage" -Djavaws.launchparam.modeMurImage=0

these settings have no effect !

If I manually change the vision-client-launcher.json in the user directory with:

But in case I had the application in thevision client launcher, the file is recreated with null.
Is there a way to add init.heap and max.heap settings when yje client is launched with the command line ?

The 8.0.9 next available 8.0.10 nightly contains a fix for the issue presented here.

1 Like

Hi Paul,

I am currently using 8.0.10 and the problem still persist.

I have configured the memory size as shown below:

However, the max heap memory showed from the vision client status showed that it is fixed at 256M.

Could we have an update asap as we are currently having testing with clients and this java heap out of memory keeps popping out which prevent us from viewing other hmi pages?

Also, I realized that the window mode selection is missing in the vision client launcher setting. Is there any setting to configure to reveal it ?

Br,
Edwin

-UPDATE-

I have found out that the client max heap will be updated if i configured it from the project properties in the designer, restart the gateway and added in the vision client launcher. I also realized none of the settings from designer launcher or the vision client launcher is applied even though I have saved the settings.

As the setting in the launcher are non critical for our situations, we will use the above approach to resolve our heap memory problem.