Ignition 8.1 Data Types (UDT) Warnings

Hello,

Just in case you haven’t paid attention to the new features that were added for 8.1. One of the new things added was the ability to define the type of parameters to user defined data types.

If you then import in UDT’s that were exported from an older Ignition platform. It doesn’t seem to know exactly what to do with parameters that you defined to have defaults set to a parameter value ie {Device}. In that case rather than defaulting to a String type it defaults to an Integer type which will cause weird things when utilizing the UDT’s. The same thing occurred when I upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 on a gateway.

Of course you can’t import the resulting UDT’s into a lower version of Ignition ( but then you never should assume that you can! ) because the JSON export of a UDT now has additional field for the data type which the older platform doesn’t know what do with.

Also be very careful when importing from a 7.x into an 8.x gateway. Watch the OPC Server field. Specifically the 7.x would have a value of “Ignition OPC-UA Server” and 8.x has a value of “Ignition OPC UA Server” Notice the OPC-UA to OPC UA and the missing ‘-’ that they decided to change. When upgrading the server from 7.x to 8.x this difference will be allowed for, but when I imported UDT’s in it was not! I had to export to JSON, open in an editor and do a global search and replace then reimport to resolve the problem.

Good Luck,
Bill S.

1 Like