Ignition 8 expressions

Hi,

I am trying to test ignition 8 with existing projects and also I want to try perspective.When I migrated my old projects I got lot on errors on expression for one I saw was ,I use view() to format data sets.Is this function no longer valid in v8 ? and what is the alternative.Also is their any manual for v8?

Thanks,

Khashey

I have a feeling that function comes from the Automation Professional module. Any chance you had that installed on your 7.9 gateway?

1 Like

The manual is at https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/

I think @code_skin is right about that expression - it doesn’t sound like one of ours.

1 Like

Can confirm. I verified on my test gateways.

This is the module that provides the dataset → view() function in the expression editor.

Might be worth verifying with the authors they have a Ignition 8 compatible module.

1 Like

Yes you are right I had it installed.Its free so for sure I would have installed it oops.Thanks.

Yes, it has been updated for the formal release of v8.0.0. Download it here:

https://www.automation-pros.com/ignition/Simulation%20Aids-1.7.8.1904092000-v8.modl

My other modules are in flux at the moment -- betas for v8 were posted in this thread:

???

Awww! I thought that one was the best of my freebies...

2 Likes

It is cant wait for one compatible for 8.0 :stuck_out_tongue:

??? No wait. Look at my other reply.

3 Likes

Thanks, hahaha your are the best of the best and I need a coffee drip :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Why couldn’t I write expressions as below:
x = concat("[default]Pod3PositionValveShared_DB_1/",{TestTemplate.TagName},".value")
jsonGet({x},“topDescription”)

If I couldn’t, is there another solution?
I writed an expression as below:
jsonGet({concat("[default]Pod3PositionValveShared_DB_1/",{TestTemplate.TagName},".value")},“topDescription”)

but it would throw an exception of “Scan Error: Nested paths not allowed.”

This doesn't work because the expression language doesn't support variables. You must write your expression in a functional style - there's no advanced control flow like loops, and no extra operators like variable assignment.

This doesn't work because you can't construct a dynamic tag path within curly braces - only a single literal string is allowed. To do a dynamic tag path lookup, either add an additional custom property with an indirect tag binding, or use the tag expression function.