Ignition built in history limited to two days

I’m new to Ignition and our company first started using it this year. I recently setup a number of tags to be tracked in the BuiltIn History storage provider. The tracking works great for the last 2-3 days of data but when I try to lookup anything older it will be zero.

I have about 2500 tags that I am tracking across various equipment. Most are setup to sample Mode - On Change with a Min Time of 1 second and max time 0 hours (default settings).

Is there a limit to how much data the built in history can store? Is there a way to change this parameter?

I’ve attempted to upload a picture of a powerchart showing the problem. You can see the total products made each shift, resetting at the end of each shift. This equipment runs everyday and shows zero’s for all data before a certain point. If I run this chart an hour from now the first hour of data on the chart is lost.

Two quick questions:

1. Is this an Ignition Edge gateway? Edge has a limited historian, but I think it’s longer than 2 days.
  2. Does your history provider have pruning enabled at 2 days? Docs on history provider configuration

Thank you for your response.

It is not an Ignition Edge Gateway.

I followed the documentation per your link. Under the Tags - History section we have Time Limit Enabled set to 1 year and point limited to 10 million points. If I’m viewing ~2500 records and half of them are storing each second it would start pruning records after 66 hours which appears to be what I’m seeing. I’ll need to reexamine if all my tags need to be logged as frequently as they are currently needed.

Is there any suggestions on point limit size? It says the default is 10 million points. Do we start to see any type of performance decrease if this is too large or is there just storage space concerns? Is there any type of translation between points and storage space?

Have you set your analog deadbands to sensible values? When you do you get huge data compression.

See Configuring Tag History - Ignition User Manual 8.0 - Ignition Documentation.

You probably should be using a proper database. The defaults for the internal provider reflect its light-duty nature.

I left it on the default deadbands. I’ll make a pass through that at the same time I change the sampling. I’m really glad I setup everything as UDTs