Ignition client PC running CPU at 100%

My client has just purchased two new ASUS notebooks to run an Ignition Client on.
After running up the client for our project, the CPU utilization moves up to max very quickly. Making the client slow and unusable.

I know its a pretty open ended question, but what kind of specifications should we be looking for to know what PC's/laptops/tablets/devices would be suitable to run clients on for our project?
Are certain chipsets better? My client wants to be able to run clients on tablets but now thinks it wont be possible..

The laptop i use for engineering is fairly well spec'd, so i've never noticed any performance issues running multiple clients on my laptop.

The specs for the problematic laptop are:

ASUS F541N
Intel Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.1GHz (4 core)
4.0GB RAM
64-bit Windows 10, x64-based processor
No dedicated graphics.

Latest Java installed (build 1.8.0_131-b11)

Strangely enough Task Manager is reporting a CPU speed of 2.43Ghz, when the Maximum speed is only showing 1.10Ghz??

Sometimes an Ignition client will have high CPU if there is something wrong with the project. I don’t see anything wrong with the computer specs. I would look at what is running in the client. What code is being executed in the project?

For example, an infinite loop in Python will cause a client to have 100 percent CPU utilization.

1 Like

There aren’t really any scripts running in the background or anything. There are a few Gateway scripts running but they shouldn’t affect client performance.

The thing is, a client running on the Server or my laptop run fine. In fact the client just bought in another laptop to try, which had an Intel i5 7200 2.5GHz CPU with 8GB of RAM, and that seemed to cope with running the project just fine as well. I think the processor was running at around 50%.

There is quite a difference in the spec of CPU there, and i’m just trying to figure out what we might have success running the project with, as ideally we’re looking to move to tablets.

If you have a dual-core client, and you have problems in your event scripts, you’ll see 50% CPU all the time. A single-core client runs at 100%. Consider putting code in every single event that will print a timestamp and the event object. Then the flood of activity on the client diagnostic console will point at your problem. In nearly every case I’ve seen, it is either a propertyChange event script that doesn’t have if statements to pick out specific property names, or a pair of events that are ping-ponging triggering each other’s property changes.

2 Likes