Ignition Client Performance Issues

New to ignition so please be kind. The system has been running for several months and about a month ago production has reported that the system is "slow" and that the clients "freeze" and must be re-started at least daily. I did not design the system, it was done by an engineering firm that no longer works for us.
Below are the details that I have gathered:

1. Number of device connections : 6 (Allen Bradley L8x PLC's)
  2. Number of Tags : 162,843
  3. Frequency of tag polling : 5 second (I have tried lowering this but when I do the device aggregate statistics "overload" increases from 1% to 85%)
  4. Number of concurrent clients : 4 (except when troubleshooting and at that time I will launch a client so I can observe)
    In terms of architecture we are running a primary server, a backup server and a historical. All servers are Dell PowerEdge R340 with Intel Xeon CPU @ 3.70 and 32 GB RAM. Server resource monitor shows CPU usage to be around 1% usage and memory around 80% max.

Thoughts on improving performance and reliability?

Vision or Perspective?

Also, what version of Ignition?

Vision

1. That's a painful load situation for a reasonable number of tags. You should study this topic and some of the links therein:

You may also find this topic helpful:

{ /shameless plug }

However, this:

Sounds like a memory leak or badly-behaved foreground script in a Vision client. That is much more trouble to find and fix--possibly requiring some redesign.

1 Like