Ignition Core Certification updates

@andrew.budaiev Thanks for the info, I'll get our web team looking into this.

Not fun to read as someone who recently paid to get core certified.

Yes it was a bit disappointing to have to wait for more than 13 weeks for a result even though I paid for the test, but I assumed that would get better over time as the free tests would expire / get processed.

Seeing this really decreases the value of the certification in my opinion.

The Core Certification Test is an online, autograded Ignition exam with both multiple choice and short answer questions, spread out over 9 different sections by topic. The test must be completed within 30 days of purchase. Once all sections of the test are completed you will receive an email with your results.

This is the case with most vendors unfortunately. As long as you pay and pass some multiple choice test you get certified. I've been through it with other vendors and knew people who were awesome at building applications but had trouble passing this type of test, and at the same time people who can pass these tests but I would not want building my application. Meaningless.

Something where IA stood out. I absolutely understand the free tests were not sustainable and I don't mind paying for grading one bit. But at least building something and having it graded meant something.
Giving out certifications for attending a class was already disappointing to see, I guess this is the next step.

Reading the comments above it looks like there's still some actual building involved where you have to upload JSON? That's a positive at least.

I just sent in my gold certification test last week, I can only hope this one stays as is or similar, so at least it will keep some credibility to it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback we appreciate it.

it was a bit disappointing to have to wait for more than 13 weeks for a result even though I paid for the test

From what we saw, if we did not make this change to automated grading, the queue time for receiving a grade on either the Core or Gold would permanently exceed 3 months. Adding a cost to the tests did not significantly decrease their rate of submission, if at all. Based on the constant feedback we received about the queue times, we had to change the system.

As long as you pay and pass some multiple choice test you get certified.

I can understand how a multiple choice test can appear less rigorous than a project development oriented exam, but it is worth noting that historically the Core test had unlimited attempts. Meaning anyone, before 2024, could brute force their way through it, and pass. We tried to help address this by implementing a two attempt limit, but this still does not resolve the turnaround time issue.

Additionally, this test is not just 100 Multiple Choice questions. It requires you to restore a backup, including some database data, and work against an Ignition project to identify and resolve issues. We find that it tests the same knowledge that the manually graded Core test did.

Giving out certifications for attending a class was already disappointing to see

Worth noting that you must attend 40 hours of class and complete the lab work assigned each day to receive certification from class. I would say "giving out" is not a perfect description of the process and also diminishes the value that comes from being taught by someone who has extensive experience with the software.

But at least building something and having it graded meant something.

One of the reasons we wanted to move to a new system is cheating. I would like to assume that everyone submitting a test for manual grading actually did all of the work in that submission themselves, but this is not the reality.

5 Likes

You'll never make everyone happy unfortunately. I understand why it needed to happen. Honestly a couple questions in the first part of the old core test tripped me up more than actually building the project in the second part.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Kyle!
That's one of the things I absolutely love about IA, the forums and open discussions.

Additionally, this test is not just 100 Multiple Choice questions. It requires you to restore a backup, including some database data, and work against an Ignition project to identify and resolve issues. We find that it tests the same knowledge that the manually graded Core test did.

Great!

Worth noting that you must attend 40 hours of class and complete the lab work assigned each day to receive certification from class. I would say "giving out" is not a perfect description of the process and also diminishes the value that comes from being taught by someone who has extensive experience with the software.

I agree that being taught by someone who has extensive experience with the software has immense value. My experience with other vendor-led trainings (not by IA but some of the big competitors) has not been that at all though, maybe at IA it's different, but doesn't change the perception of what the certification means.

At least half the people I saw in these trainings I would absolutely not consider proficient after the 1 week course (sounds a lot less this way than saying 40h :slight_smile: ) and struggled to get through the coursework even with help from the teacher and other students.

One of the reasons we wanted to move to a new system is cheating.

I did not consider this, that's a very good reason indeed.

Understandable that something had to change, I hoped the price would decrease submissions and/or enable you to allocate more resources. In the end more automation is a good thing of course, but I know I put more value in knowing someone successfully built something from scratch to specifications than that they passed a question-based exam.

Unfortunate for people like myself who got to pay a fee AND wait for multiple months, and this right before the perceived value (in my opinion) of being certified will decrease, but it is what it is. At least I still had the joy of building something instead of answering questions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

you can always say "certified at: date: ", if you think that would help your cv

1 Like

My question is about platform compatibility. Several years ago, I took a few exams for an EPA 608 certification. The testing process was online and proctored via web-cam. The software, however, required that I be running Windows. Luckily, I was still working for my prior employer and had a Windows laptop. I went on my own a few years ago and have been running strictly Linux (Mint). I do not have a Windows machine. Can I still take the core test? Thank you.

I'd be very surprised if IA did something that was only available to windows users.

2 Likes

I'm not so sure, but I hope so. This is via a 3rd party. Anti-cheat things like locking your browser so you can't access other apps, monitoring what other programs you are running, or checking if you are running in a virtual machine. These would require platform specific solutions to access parts of a computer system not accessible by a browser.

No need for idle speculation:

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks! :sweat_smile:

I need clarification. Does the new system make the tests free to take? I saw no mention of that in your announcement, but one responder seemed to think it was.

I hope so, because regardless of cost, which could be prohibitive for some, passing the test is all that matters. I can’t imagine that a fee is still necessary, if as you say the process is automated.

If automation was free how would you be making your living? :moneybag:

5 Likes

No the tests are not free. The costs are on the IA website: Ignition Certification Tests | Inductive Automation

How, if at all, will this affect the re-certification process for those renewing an existing core or gold certification?

6 Likes

Just curious, will you be able to use the IA online documentation when taking the test?

It's open book,

2 Likes

In addition to what Paul said, you can try out the system with a random, non related test here: Test Interface | Inductive Automation Training
It won't have everything like requiring the webcam, but you can at least get a feel for how it works.

1 Like

So just like with before, certification is for three years. Once your certification expires, you need to get recertified by either coming to class or taking the test again, which would give you another three years.

1 Like

Hello,

I am taking the Ignition Core certification test, wanted to know about the passing criteria?

Do the questions have graded markings? What percentage score will be considered as passing score?