Ignition crashes windows 10 (?)

Let me start off by saying I’m not sure if this is something that involves Ignition or if it’s a victim of it. Recently, when I’ve been using the designer (7.9.13) after some amount of time Ignition will freeze, actually my whole computer will sort of freeze. Trying to go to other applications doesn’t work, instead it just makes that window in the taskbar flash for a bit. If I leave it alone for a while (an hour or so) it will get better, but until then I can’t do anything besides restart my computer, but then I lose the work I’ve done in Ignition (I try to keep up with saving but its not always successful).

Has anyone had this problem before? I only think it may be related to Ignition because it has only happened when I’m working in the designer. But also I know there are a lot of very smart people on here who may be able to help :wink:

Thanks!

Edit: Ok, pretty sure now it is somehow related to Ignition. If I force close Ignition through task manager (which luckily does show up when pressing the shortcut keys), the problem goes away for the rest of my computer.

This may not be much help, but I am using Windows 10 and v7.9.14. I have no issues with Ignition Designer. Have you tried different projects in the designer to see if a project has some infinite loop script or something of that sort?

Getting a thread dump from Ignition/the designer when in that state would be extremely helpful. If you’re not sure how to do so, I’d highly encourage getting in contact with support, so that they can help you through the process.

1 Like

Yeah I suppose that would be the best way to move forward. It’s getting to be 5 minutes after I open the designer this morning :confused:

Are you using the debug flag when you open the Designer? I ran into somewhat similar problems to what you described months back and tracked it down to an awful lot of logging happening. Changing the logging levels worked, but would have to be repeated every time Designer was opened. Removing the debug flag from the Designer shortcut resolved the issue. I was only using it to allow directly opening a project with Designer shortcut, rather than opening Designer and then opening a project.

I think I fixed it, but I don’t know what was actually wrong in the first place.

I have been using AutoHotKey for years now with Ignition - basically to turn F5 & F6 into apply/OK/close/whatever for each screen, where it usually is a shortcut for alt+o or something. I just added a new one in the last couple days (which lines up with when my problem started) for the property binding window, it was just like the rest that have been working fine. I noticed that things froze just after I changed a property binding, and that I was using this new key I setup. Deleted that in my AHK script and it’s been working great.

So I’m still not sure exactly what went wrong but I’m guessing now its actually on the AHK side, maybe I’ll investigate that later (because I already miss my new shortcut for applying property bindings lol). But for now, case closed :slight_smile:

Here’s the relevant part of my AHK script, BTW:

SetTitleMatchMode 2

#IfWinActive roperty Binding
F5::
send !o
return

Literally the exact same thing works with the #IfWinActive line is changed to another title, it’s really weird.