Ignition Edge and Ignition / Docker

Good Evening,

I loaded Igniton Edge on a Moxa MPC-2120. After finding out the hardway, this PC Panel meets the bare requirements for Ignition Edge. At the time, I was opening the Ignition Edge designer to create windows. This took a very long time.

Is there a way I can load Ignition Edge and Ignition on my laptop and fix according and upload the updates on the Moxa MPC-2120? Could I run Ignition Edge and Basic Ignition on same laptop?

Still new to all of this.

Thanks,

C

I have installed a few instances of Edge on similar hardware (quad-core, 4GB RAM)... and it runs just fine.

Are you running the designer on that panel PC? Don't do that. Connect via LAN to the Panel PC and run Designer on your laptop. That should help with performance in designing.

To answer your other question, you can install Edge on your laptop, fully develop it, then take a gateway backup and restore it onto your Panel PC.

Yes, you can have both Edge and Standard (what you call 'basic') on the same PC... however you need to be aware of install directories and port conflicts, therefore it is recommended you run these in a VM or Docker if needs must have both on your laptop.

3 Likes

Matrix_Engineering,

Thanks for responding. Yes. I'm running designer on the PC Panel.

Sounds good. I haven't used Docker before. Have you seen a thread or maybe something you could point me to on using docker.

Thanks,

C

Personally I quite like running them all on different virtual machines, especially if you're lucky enough to be able to replicate an environment that is the same as your final hardware and OS. Can just boot them up on your PC or laptop and develop with it

I agree, when you are getting started - VM is the way to go. If you only need 2 or 3.

However, once your requirements grow, and you have e.g. 30 instances, docker containers are significantly more light-weight compared to a VM, and you can spin up a new container in literally 2 minutes.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies. If I was on a remote location with no cell phone coverage or internet, which one would you suggest?

Is a Virtual Machine inexpensive?

VM Ware Player is free for non-commercial use. VM Ware Workstation has publicly available pricing. From memory, I paid like £165? For one instance.

There are other VM brands than VMware, but it's what I've always used.

Download, install, license, when you're in the office with internet.

Keep backups on an external USB SSD.

Another benefit of VM is just that, you can keep them on an external SSD, then make that available to your desktop/workstation or any laptop that has the software installed.

One more thing on cost; if you want to run a windows VM on a windows laptop, you need to check licensing. I think if you run 11 pro (host) and want 11 pro (guest), then you must essentially license both.

Another reason why I use docker mainly, it is Linux based ergo license free.

Ignition is of course cross-platform, so you can run windows 11 (host), and then a Linux VM (guest).

Matrix_Engineering,

Thanks for your help again. Just to make sure I understand correctly.

If I was to go the VM Ware Route, the VM Ware Player you discussed is on the following link?

I can actually install this on my laptop? Then I can purchase an External SSD and place Windows on it? Then I would use the VM Ware to log on to the External SSD?

Thanks,

C

I suggest you use player on your personal laptop to get familiar with it.

For work, you need Workstation, as that is classed as commercial use.

You don't need an external SSD. If your internal SSD has enough capacity, use that to start.

This is a Windows 10 VM. VMs use a lot of disk space.

Also, ensure your laptop is beefy, lots of cores, lots of RAM.

I do CAD in VMs. My laptop is 24 core, 32GB RAM.

Good old XP.

Windows VMs use a lot of disk space. My Linux VMs for gateways only get 8GB or 12GB of storage. If I'm going to run a UI too, I'll give them 20GB. Docker runs even smaller as you don't need any temporary space for the install process.

If you are using Windows, you are screwing up. IMNSHO.

(Oh, and Linux's KVM hypervisor is free for any use, commercial or not. It's what most cloud vendors rely on for virtual private servers.)

1 Like

Look at the names. Windows Logix 5K. ePlan. Show me those running natively on Linux?

Touché. But this topic is about Ignition installs. I, too, run my Rockwell Software, CAD, and accounting package in Windows (VMs for XP, W7, and W10). But bare metal is Linux. All my dev VMs are Linux, even the one for MS SQL Server.

Yes, and earlier in this thread I advised of Docker, I use Docker on Debian. I also advised of Linux VMs.

My workstation is Windows (10) because:

a) customer requirements
b) only started with Linux in 2020, been on Windows since '98
c) I'm about 100 IQ points behind you =)

For your own laptop or primary workstation? Where any of my customers require Windows, I require them to supply me a VM image, or dedicated hardware, or I spin up a separate Windows VM for their tasks.

Typically this is to run a VPN package, possibly integrated with the client's Active Directory or Domain. It is impossible to comply with multiple NDAs while running commercial VPNs from paranoid clients in any Windows install that has access to multiple clients' documents. (Because such commercial VPNs hijack even local LAN traffic, and gain total access to the file system. Not to mention what happens when joining a domain.)

Sorry, not acceptable. I decline to work with clients that have policies that interfere with my other NDAs or my own business secrets.

Thank you all again for the insight. If I used Docker or local VM, could I still send data to it?