Ignition Edge Auto Launch Project

I was curious if there were any plans to add the ability to auto launch a project when the gateway loads in the future. Using Linux I use their startup programs and then delay the running of a script to launch the project, but I either have to over delay it or have random instances where I tried to start it just barely too soon before the gateway finished loading. Recently I’ve started getting an error message when the client tries to load the project stating “Error launching application: EOFException: null” I’m headed out to the site today to try and get some log file information on what that is occurring, however my suspicion is I ran the script too early.

Consider adding a startup dependency between the display manager and the Ignition service.

Find your Ignition-Gateway.service file (probably in /etc/systemd/system/).

Edit the [Unit] section and add Before=graphical.target:

[Unit]
Description=Ignition-Gateway
After=syslog.target
Before=graphical.target

(untested)

1 Like

Okay, I’m using Ignition 8.0.6-rc1 that I just downloaded on Linux Mint (Ubuntu flavor). I’ve installed as a service using sudo ./ignition.sh installstart. I went into the Ignition-Gateway.service file and added Before=grapical.target to the [Unit] section. The service has started but no project is launched. Is there another step I need to do or do I need to go to 8.0.5 or 8.0.7?

This would be in addition to your script placed in startup programs - you still doing that?

Ah, no I was not I thought that replaced the startup script. I’ve added it back in and it works like a champ, thank you!

@Kevin.Herron
Having an issue with the solution here. We have set up the graphical.target with a dependency for the Ignition-Gateway.service but when we run our .desktop startup script that opens a browser with our perspective project, we are still getting a 503 service error as if the project is not available yet. Has something changed in the last 4 years where Perspective projects act differently? Is there still a delay between the service starting and project URLs being available?

Just did a test where my startup script included systemctl status Ignition-Gateway.service and it did show that the gateway service was running when the script ran. So that means the gateway is running but the perspective endpoint is not open yet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some kind of delay there. I don’t think it’s intentional or not, and probably hasn’t changed intentionally or not.

A script might need to be a little smarter, doing something like curl or wget in a wait-loop until the desired endpoint returns a 200 status or a threshold to give up is reached.

1 Like

I've never had issues with this. When the client launches, it usually just shows the splash screen showing it's trying to connect to the gateway, then once the gateway becomes available, it connects up and opens the project.

Sounds like you're launching a Vision client and not a browser pointing at a Perspective project URL.

Ahh, I missed that part in his original message. I always use the respective client apps and never have the issue with this.

As mentioned here, we implemented curl to pull the HTTP status code and loop until the perspective project loads and the desired status code is reached. Thus far, it has worked nicely. Thanks for the tip on this.