Ignition for EMS

Hi,
Ignition has been used in 100’s of projects in Energy domain such as Data Canters, Solar, Wind etc. However has anyone used it for Energy Management System application for an electrical distribution system for an industrial plant connecting to Schneider devices like PM8240 , EM6400 etc? What’s your experience with connection to Schneider Power and Energy Meters? How does Ignition compare with Schneider’s ECOStructure Power SCADA for EMS for electrical distribution system of an industrial plant? Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Hi,

I literally come from a Schnieder partner and Ignition will blow EcoStruxure out of the water. Ingesting meters and and modbus device is super simple in igintion gateway. If you need to pull in anything else like modicons, Smartx, conext they all have modbus support so they can all be pulled in.

1 Like

Good to hear that! Will the register details be available in the documentation? How about EcoStruxure features? What are the various modules it supports such as Power Quality monitoring/analysis/reporting/breaker performance monitoring etc. Is any document available somewhere. This is for feature comparison and building similar features in Ignition.

Hi,

So I want to be clear, ignition in a blank slate it will not natively have those specifics out of the box. A much more apples to apples comparison is something like Aveva’s offerings for SCADA. You can build all of the things you ask for, I am building a modbus device creation from a library which includes PM8k meters. Once it is built re-use it over and over. On the meters you will have to setup what modbus points you want to pull into your scada.

1 Like

I understand , Ignition doesn’t have these features out of the box, but I think they can be built after feature comparison with EcoStruxure . Regarding modbus integration with meters, I can certainly pickup what points I want to collect. However it will be great if your library for PM8k devices and other devices be available in the third party module marketplace of Ignition? Please inform me when they are ready, I would like to try them out. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Hi,

Maybe someone else has a library they can share, all of ours is done using Json files getting passed into the application. Not really an out of the box download.

I am sure if their was enough interest I could start making Modbus device profiles but its tedious and I do not have all the hardware to test against.

1 Like

No problem, I can try to do it myself. However anyone already having these profiles may please let me know. I am interested in PM53XX,PM82xx, EM6400, IEC61850 relays.

What are you using for IEC61850? I would imagine something like an SEL would be DNP3.

customer has specified requirement of interfacing with relays with IEC61850 ! Ignition doesn’t presently have a driver for it , so I guess I have to take deviation here and specify MODBUS for this as well and add IEC61850 module whenever its available in Ignition.

Yeah I would look into DNP3 or Modbus. All of our IEC sites run through DNP3.

1 Like

This is an interesting post. Are you planning to use Ignition for ADMS functionality?

You all should look into a 3rd party Driver suite such as Kepware or Autosol. Then you get that data into Ignition via OPC-UA.

Hi,

I guess what would be the benefit of something like Kepware?

The benefit is if Kepware has a driver suite for a protocol that Ignition doesn’t support natively. Kepware can communicate via the non-Ignition supported protocol and expose the information to Ignition via OPC. For example, I use Kepware to talk to Fanuc CNC controllers via the Focas protocol which Ignition doesn’t support. With Kepware I can expose tags to Ignition from the CNCs.

I understand the benefits of Kepware, but for this application the OP had are ION (Which all support Modbus TCP) and then DNP3 is allowed in ignition. So for this scenario I still do not see how Kepware would help him other then adding layers of applications.

2 Likes

I see what you are saying, good point. However, Kepware does have a driver for IEC61850

yes , in fact all that EMS PSO supports such as ARDM, PQA, EAR are expected to be supported. hope i can do it!

I guess 61850 is likely to be included natively in Ignition’s OPC UA, then Kepware is not required. The 60870 I guess is a European version of DNP3.

1 Like

Hi Dillon.lee

I read you come from Schneider electric, my question is what about the waveform capture that ION meters have, like ION 7660 or 8000 and so on, I think these features are not possible to add them to ignition, please let me know if I’m wrong.

Regards