Ignition Historian

Hi there,

I have a few questions regarding Ignition’s Historian:

1. Is the best way to collect the factory’s historical data by manually configuring each tag and Enabling its History option and selecting the desired DB as the storage provider?
  2. The structure of the DB is documented here: https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/SE/Tag+History+Tables+Reference
    I would like to use this DB only for short-term trending.
    Any advice on how to dump this DB into another Historical DB that can be used by other applications?
  3. When do you recommend to use the Ignition Modules “Tag Historian” vs “SQL Bridge”? From what I saw on the forums, SQL Bridge is particularly good for PLC to DB hand-shakes, such as load recipe.
  4. To work with the raw historical data, any advice on techniques for partitioning and storing the data, so it can be easier to use it afterwards for other applications?

thanks,
Erik

It depends what your other applications are and what format they want the databases to be in. Can you provide any more information on that?

Typically a Data Historian in a DMZ is the interface between the OT and IT. So in this case the other applications could be enterprise level applications, such as data analytics.

What I mean is that to decide which approach is best for you, you’ll need to know what format your other applications want the tables to be in. The tag historian uses ‘narrow’ tables and can be set up log data when tags change rather than every x seconds. The SQL bridge module stores data in ‘wide’ tables and will stamp all data points in the group every x seconds. Which one (or both) makes the most sense to you will depend on the specific requirements of your other applications.

1 Like