Ignition Infrastructure

Hi,

Are Amazon servers good solution for Ignition? We are thinking to setup Ignition server on Amazon servers. I have concerns around reliability of this solution. Do anybody has experience with that solution? I would like to know if all alarming, vision, controlling PLC’s etc. will work with no problem.

Regards
Pawel

Depends what you mean by "Controlling" PLCs. Ignition itself will work, but I hope you don't expect to put operator HMIs in the plant, bouncing control traffic off a cloud server to control PLCs in the plant.

Thanks for your replay quick.
For now the plan is only to gather information from PLC’s and users and provide live reporting. But this will be expanded in the future to provide HMI and Andon screens on the production floor.
So it this case for reporting it should not be a problem but for conroling PLC’s, HMI’s and Andon screens it should be setup in local network. Am I right?

Regards
Pawel

That is what I would insist on, yes. Remote monitoring, trending, reporting are fine. Integration with remote corporate ERP is fine. Second-to-second or even minute-to-minute operations should never depend on a plant's broadband connection to the internet. And that's aside from all of the security challenges these setups present.

3 Likes

To expand (just a little) on @pturmel’s post, the architecture you’re looking for is “hub-and-spoke”. We use this architecture, even in a single building.

1 Like

Thanks for your replay.

In scenario you have shared, there are local Ignition Servers linked to cloud server. I think this will be more long term solution. We would like to get 1 licence and test it before we invest more money in to it. So to have Real Time monitoring capability we should have Ignition on local network rather than cloud.
Based on your and @pturmel’s input.

Regards
Pawel

This article may be of interest to some of you perhaps.

https://www.controlglobal.com/industrynews/2018/teched-10/

1 Like

MES lovers may also find this useful perhaps

https://www.controlglobal.com/industrynews/2018/teched-15/