Ignition Maker and 3D printers

I'm brand new to the world of MES and my company uses Ignition for the production lines. I want to deep dive and learn as much as I can so when I saw that maker edition existed, I thought about using it for home automation. I found a number of good forum posts and similar resources for cameras, lights, etc. I'm wondering if Ignition could be used to control my 3D printer as well. I might be searching poorly but I can't for the life of me find any resources on it.

Has anyone here connected Ignition to a 3D printer?

I have a base model Ender 3 in case that detail is important.

Look into hooks that your 3D printer MIGHT have. If it has any, it probably has some sort of REST API. You will then have to develop the Ignition side to communicate to the printer with maybe the WebDev module or just scripting. You might also have luck using something like OctoPrint and integrating that into Ignition as well.

If you're looking for a driver that just 'works' similar to Ignition's PLC drivers, you won't find it for a 3D printer.

I saw a post the other day that had me digging into it a bit. I use OctoPi on my printers currently and it has an MQTT plugin I am looking to test. Hoping for a free weekend here soon to experiment more with it, but the link is below for the plugin. This looks like it will at least get status information for the printer to view in Ignition.

Awesome. Thank you much! These responses give me a solid place to start.

1 Like