Ignition memory and CPU - Anybody have a clue

I have a virgin install of Ignition on an ML570 server with 4g memory. This box is currently running FactorySQL with no problems. The only thing in Ignition that is configured are some devices which it shows all connected. The memory climbs up to the max I’ve configured (1536m) and the machine becomes unstable to the point it almost locks up. Once I stop or restart the Ignition services, everything returns to normal but then begins the cycle of memory consumption. Do I have a configuration problem or has anyone seen this behavior before? Running version 7.2.7

Do you have a bunch of ControlLogix devices configured that have large tag counts (even if those tags have not been brought into Ignition as SQLTags).

Yes. Several machines have mind-boggling amounts. Does this affect Ignition? I just noticed that Ignition would reach the max memory, lock up, then after about 2 minutes it restarts itself.

Yes, unfortunately the way the CLX driver works right now is that when it starts up it recursively browses and stores all of the tags on the device so that they will be available for browsing. The problem is that they are stored in memory, and when you have devices with very large tag counts the system quickly runs out of memory.

There is currently no work-around for this; it’s something we’re hoping to address within the 7.3 timeline. You may need to use another OPC server to talk to the devices and simply make an OPC connection from Ignition to that server. Kepware works great.

Very well, I shall do that. As a point of interest, just how much memory do you suggest NOT going over? I think I could alot 2.5g but am not sure what affect that would have on Ignition.

There’s no practical limit as long as you’re running 64-bit Ignition on a 64-bit machine. You can allocate 2.5GB and see what happens, but if you really have multiple devices with high tag counts (1M+) I wouldn’t be surprised to see all 2.5GB disappear the same way.

Okay. Dropped all connections and the memory usage fell to an understandable 278meg. I will move on to RSlinx and pick up where I left off. Thanks for your help.

If you’re using RSLinx you’ll be using the OPC-COM module to connect to it. The COM module will only work on a 32-bit install of Ignition, so if you go that way ignore my earlier advice about using 64-bit Ignition.

In Ignition 7.3 memory usage will be improved all around, not just in the ControlLogix driver.

As info…

I am using 32bit. Like I said before, I configured it with 1536mb max memory. When I tried 2048mb or for that matter, anything greater than 1536mb, the service failed to start.

This is just info as I have went back to 1024mb and RSlinx.

[quote=“bmcniel”]As info…

I am using 32bit. Like I said before, I configured it with 1536mb max memory. When I tried 2048mb or for that matter, anything greater than 1536mb, the service failed to start.

This is just info as I have went back to 1024mb and RSlinx.[/quote]

Right, 1536mb is the max for a 32-bit install.