Ignition Multi Monitor bugs

After using the Ignition multi monitor support features added in 7.9 on a 6 monitor system

I have come across several undesirable features or bugs.

• docked window preference (north/south or east/west) is not obeyed

• when pushing updates all of the desktops seem to randomly change to unexpected main windows

• popups open on the main desktop rather than the desktop you open it from

• navigating from the original ‘parent’ client navigates screens on all of the other sub clients (may be useful in some scenarios, but i’d like to be able to turn this off, or atleast understand why it’s happening. navigating from tabstrip works fine on the individual desktops)

• there appears to be no support for the client menu bar on additional desktops

• possibly a few other bugs that I have seen but don’t recall at the moment.

With all that being said I do like the support for multi monitor, but with these bugs it is quite tempting to go back to the old way of opening a new client on each window.

Anyone else notice any other issues?

• docked window preference (north/south or east/west) is not obeyed

This is a known issue; it just hasn't yet been picked up and fixed by a developer.

• when pushing updates all of the desktops seem to randomly change to unexpected main windows

As far as I know, this shouldn't happen - if the desktops change window it would probably be to go back to whatever they were first launched as.

• popups open on the main desktop rather than the desktop you open it from

This requires a change in scripting; see the system.gui.desktop function. You'll then need to change any openwindow/messagebox/etc commands to use the returned WindowUtilities from system.gui.desktop

• navigating from the original 'parent' client navigates screens on all of the other sub clients (may be useful in some scenarios, but i'd like to be able to turn this off, or atleast understand why it's happening. navigating from tabstrip works fine on the individual desktops)

Are you using tab strips for navigation, or did you build any of your project(s) off our templates? In most of the template projects, the navigation system is bound (bidirectionally) to the [System]Client/User/CurrentWindow tag - meaning that whenever one desktop fires a window event it cascades to other windows.

• there appears to be no support for the client menu bar on additional desktops

This is by design, though it can definitely be added back in with scripting; see attached for an example.
NavMenu.py (1.1 KB)

1 Like

I agree it shouldn't. Unfortunately it doesn't go back to the original screen. Now that I think about it... maybe it's my tabstrip being bi-directionally bound.

Could the default behavior for system.gui.messageBox be set to the desktop from which it was ran on? That seems like the more common and intuitive thing you would want to do.