Ignition Newbie

Guys/Girls. :prayer:

Ive been playing with Ignition for a while now on the free license and Im impressed and get even more impressed when I learn new features. I currently use WinCC on siemens panels but I find it quite restrictive in what you can and cant do, Ignition opens up more possibilities in the animation of screens. To set the scene a bit my company build bespoke machines and I do all the electrical work from spec, design, building the control panels and PLC programming.

To get away from WinCC to ignition Im also switiching over to Industrial panel PC’s.

I suppose I best get to the point before you all get bored. When you do a program on say a touch panel PC how do you lay it out. I mean do you leave the windows task bar at the bottom or hide it, do you also have the standard ignition close icons at the top right etc. Basically i want no way the user can get out of the ignition screen. If i want to gain access beyond ignition i can plug in a mouse to bring up the task bar.

Also is putting the ignition project in the start up list a ‘proper’ way of starting it up ?

I also see alot mentioned of FactoryPMI and Vision modules, what exactly are these?
I have just been designing pages from the ‘full’ demo version and opening them on my screen.

Apologies for so many questions for my first forum post.

Craig.

Welcome! I’m glad you’re having fun with the free Ignition trial. Have you tried opening up multiple designers and clients on other computers on your network?

There are lots of ways to do navigation. Try out the sample project and/or the different “Skeleton Projects”, each illustrates different navigation schemes. Download them from the Extras section here.

As far as launching on a touch screen, ensure that you are using “full screen mode” as described here. You can also use a direct shortcut instead of the default Java managed one as described here. I think that the Windows Startup folder is a fine option. You also have other means in windows such as via the registry or under “msconfig.exe”. You can’t easily force users from not being able to close the application - that’s really a Java application issue. There are tricks for different operating systems, but I don’t know of a really easy and effective means. I believe there have been other forum posts that describe operating system shell replacement (discussed here) or other advanced/programmatic “tricks” for forcing a terminal into an Ignition environment. You might also be able to use a 3rd party security application.

FactoryPMI was the original visualization portion of what has now become the Ignition platform. The “vision” module now is what FactoryPMI was. For your reference, the current “SQL Bridge” module is a re-write of what used to be FactorySQL. If my memory serves me correctly, Ignition was released around January 2010.

[quote=“craigb”]Guys/Girls. :prayer:

Ive been playing with Ignition for a while now on the free license and Im impressed and get even more impressed when I learn new features. I currently use WinCC on siemens panels but I find it quite restrictive in what you can and cant do, Ignition opens up more possibilities in the animation of screens. To set the scene a bit my company build bespoke machines and I do all the electrical work from spec, design, building the control panels and PLC programming.

To get away from WinCC to ignition Im also switiching over to Industrial panel PC’s.

I suppose I best get to the point before you all get bored. When you do a program on say a touch panel PC how do you lay it out. I mean do you leave the windows task bar at the bottom or hide it, do you also have the standard ignition close icons at the top right etc. Basically i want no way the user can get out of the ignition screen. If i want to gain access beyond ignition i can plug in a mouse to bring up the task bar.

Also is putting the ignition project in the start up list a ‘proper’ way of starting it up ?

I also see alot mentioned of FactoryPMI and Vision modules, what exactly are these?
I have just been designing pages from the ‘full’ demo version and opening them on my screen.

Apologies for so many questions for my first forum post.

Craig.[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have opened up many instances of the designer and the client page on many computers on the network, even remotely. Sometimes i get the message pop u in designer saying the page is locked as it is opened on another machine etc etc (I cant remember the exact message) Is there a way around this? say incase i forget to close down the local designer and want to access it later on?

Resources are “locked” in the designer when they are being edited. The most common would be windows. It’s a safety feature similar to file locks. I don’t believe that you can remotely free these. That may be in as an outstanding feature request to be able to kill a session on the gateway.

You can click File->Update project in the designer to get the latest on the locks.

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=8892