Ignition on Edge with Designer Reporting 'Edge' Error

I am using Opto22 EPIC with firmware 3.3.2-b.93, Ignition Edge with 30-day trial licence installed, and Ignition version is 8.1.10.
After opening Ignition Edge on the EPIC in my browser (Firefox), downloading Designer and installing it, once it opens I get two error messages, both same just repeated, which I can’t work out how to get rid of.

Compact Version of error:
ExecutionException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:
caused by GatewayException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:
caused by ExecutionException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:

Ignition v8.1.10 (b2021090812)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.11

I have checked Java verion on Windows PC and it is up to date. Tried it on two other PC’s and get the same results.

Anyone got any ideas what I have messed up, please?

It doesn’t sound like you messed anything up, but it does sound like Edge is having trouble identifying its provider.

One quick thing you can try to resolve this issue is to effectively reset the name for the tag provider on Edge. Go to the Gateway Webpage > Config > Gateway Settings. Edge has some specific settings and one of them is the tag provider name. You can change the name to something else, save, and the change the name back to “edge” and save again.

If this does not resolve the problem we will have to check the internal database and I would recommend you contact support if that is the case.

@kvane Thanks for the reply, which I tried and I still get the same error. Switched over to full Ignition on the gateway, and once again same error.

What do I need to do now, please?

I wonder if this is anything to do with the issue, which I see in Designer when it first opens:

What do you mean by switched over to full Ignition?
Did you completely uninstall the Edge version and then install Ignition again?

Can you please post the full error as well as where you are seeing the error.

That message in the Database Query Browser means you haven’t set a datasource for the project. You can go to the Gateway Webpage > Config > Projects > Edit and then update the Default Database for any project.

What I mean by ‘swapped over’ is that the hardware device EPIC PR1 from Opto 22 supports on-board Ignition as Edge or Full.

Both are normally 2-hr trial versions, but I installed a 30-day Edge Licence from Inductive as I had to do some work for a client who need OPC-UA Server from the hardware. This is only exposed to the outside world using a licensed version of Edge or using Full Ignition in trial mode.

You don’t need to uninstall either version, merely select which one you need to use as seen above.

I the database query browser thing related or totally different, as I have never had to configure this before?

The database query browser is not related and is a very common setting to configure when making a new project.

I am not sure how that swapping process is managed on the backend for this device. For an issue related to the embedded Edge tag provider we typically ask that you contact Inductive Automation Support.

I am also not sure where you would be seeing this error on a standard Ignition version. If you provide the error and a screenshot of where the error shows up- I may be able to provide more information.

Perhaps the project is still trying to use the a tag provider named “edge” which no longer exists on the full Ignition version.

Here is the message when I try to launch Designer on the embedded Opto 22 EPIC Edge licenced device:

I have contacted support using the link you provided.

Support can help with this error. They will likely recommend clearing the local Ignition cache (by deleting the .ignition file listed in the error).

Here is full error as requested:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.reportGet(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.opcbrowser.OpcBrowseExecutor$ProviderBrowseExecutor.browse(OpcBrowseExecutor.java:49)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.opcbrowser.AbstractOPCTreeNode.browse(AbstractOPCTreeNode.java:35)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.opcbrowser.OPCFolderNode.loadChildren(OPCFolderNode.java:52)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.tree.AbstractAsynchronousTreeNode$Loader.run(AbstractAsynchronousTreeNode.java:83)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:351)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:325)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:278)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:945)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.tags.impl.GatewayTagInterface.browseTagDataSourcesAsync(GatewayTagInterface.java:180)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.tags.impl.GatewayTagInterface$GatewayProviderProxy.browseTagDataSourcesAsync(GatewayTagInterface.java:263)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.tags.impl.ClientTagManagerImpl.browseTagDataSourcesAsync(ClientTagManagerImpl.java:155)
… 9 more
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.Exception: Provider ‘edge’ not found:
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.reportGet(null)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(null)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.gateway.functions.TagProviderRpc.browseTagDataSources(TagProviderRpc.java:756)
at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(null)
at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(null)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(null)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.gateway.AbstractGatewayFunction.invoke(AbstractGatewayFunction.java:228)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.Gateway.doPost(Gateway.java:432)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.bootstrap.MapServlet.service(MapServlet.java:86)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder$NotAsync.service(ServletHolder.java:1450)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:799)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$ChainEnd.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1626)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:548)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:602)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1624)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1434)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:501)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1594)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1349)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
at com.inductiveautomation.catapult.handlers.RemoteHostNameLookupHandler.handle(RemoteHostNameLookupHandler.java:116)
at org.eclipse.jetty.rewrite.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:322)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:59)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:516)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:388)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:633)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:380)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:277)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:105)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection$DecryptedEndPoint.onFillable(SslConnection.java:555)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection.onFillable(SslConnection.java:410)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection$2.succeeded(SslConnection.java:164)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:105)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$1.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:104)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:338)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:315)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:173)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:131)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:386)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:883)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:1034)
at java.lang.Thread.run(null)

Ignition v8.1.10 (b2021090812)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.11

This error will require us to take a peek at the internal database - specifically the tag provider settings table.

We recommend coordinating this type of troubleshooting through a Support Ticket.

I got this same error after I did a fresh install of Edge on a PC followed immediately by a gateway restore from another gateway backup (but with the option to Disable everything after loading). This might be a missing option or an oversight, but what ends up happening is the Tag Provider is marked as Disabled…and Edge doesn’t have a web page to allow you to enable/disable the tag provider. Executing a query to enable it again solved the problem…but of course there should be an option on the gateway settings page or tie the tag provider’s enable/disable state together with the project’s enable/disable state since there can only be 1 project and 1 tag provider on Edge.

Are you above version 8.1.10?

In Edge 8.1.11 and above you can edit Realtime Tab Providers and disable/enable as you would a standard Gateway.

1 Like

That’s it. I am at 8.1.4. Time to upgrade.

Thanks Kyle.

1 Like