Ignition OPC UA interoperability

I am carrying out some interoperability tests of Ignition OPC UA client/server with other OPC UA vendors. Recently i tried to connect UaExpert OPC UA client (Unified Automation) with Ignition server. I noticed a lot of error messages while connecting UaExpert client to my Ignition server at opc.tcp://alamscada.dynu.com:4096. Looks like the connection is unstable. But prosys ua client and Ignition ua client works perfectly.

You can also connect to my server and test.
opc.tcp://alamscada.dynu.com:4096.
username/passwd: opcuauser/opcuauser

I have copied the error messages. Can you pls check?

19:30:31.942 | Server Node | alamscada.dynu.com | Connection status of server ‘alamscada.dynu.com’ changed to ‘Disconnected’.
19:30:30.864 | Server Node | alamscada.dynu.com | Connection status of server ‘alamscada.dynu.com’ changed to ‘ConnectionErrorApiReconnect’.
19:30:25.817 | Server Node | alamscada.dynu.com | Connection status of server ‘alamscada.dynu.com’ changed to ‘Connected’.
19:30:20.440 | Server Node | alamscada.dynu.com | Connection status of server ‘alamscada.dynu.com’ changed to ‘ConnectionErrorApiReconnect’.
19:30:15.430 | Server Node | alamscada.dynu.com | Connection status of server ‘alamscada.dynu.com’ changed to ‘Connected’.
19:30:10.054 | Server Node | alamscada.dynu.com | Connection status of server ‘alamscada.dynu.com’ changed to ‘ConnectionErrorApiReconnect’.
19:30:05.038 | Server Node | alamscada.dynu.com | Connection status of server ‘alamscada.dynu.com’ changed to ‘Connected’.

This is the reply from Unified Automation

we have tested the Server and it seems to not provide correct data, even though the other Clients may accept/ignore this wrong behavior, UaExpert needs correct data being returned during connection establishment.

Who is the manufacturer of the Server? Who has programmed it?

The server doesn’t provide basic OPC UA functionality, as reading the NamespaceTable and the ServerStatus/State variable return errors. Those nodes are absolutely necessary for normal UA communication and can not be omitted, so this issue can only be resolved by fixing the server. Server does not comply with OPC UA specification.

Best Regards
Support Team
Unified Automation

Well at first glance the problem appears to be that your Ignition trial has timed out, which means all the reads return a quality of ‘Bad_ConditionNotShelved’ (a quality we chose because there is no trial/license related quality defined by the spec), and UaExpert does not like this.

Yes UaExpert works now !!.

Very embarassing. My sincere apologies to the Ignition team. I think, i completely uninstalled the previous version, reinstalled new version and lost track of OPC UA activation … :slight_smile: .

I received new IgnitionOPC-UA CD-Key and activated it. Hope OPC UA will run even if Ignition trial times out.

I will inform UaExpert and all others who are testing their product with my server and wondering why it doesn’t work !!!. But Prosys UA client works perfectly normal and that has given me the confidence to blame it on their side :laughing:

BTW, “Licensing and Activation” page shows:

Current License
License Key XXX-XXX

Ignition Platformv 7.x.x

Modbus Driver v2v 4.x.x
edition standard
UDP and TCP Driversv 3.x.x
edition standard
OPC-UAv 3.x.x
edition standard

But my Ignition version is:

Ignition Gateway