Ignition running on SuSE Leap + systemd service

Hello, although I suspect it’s not the intended Linux target, Ignition runs just fine on SuSE Leap 15.3 in a virtual machine (KVM/qemu).

• Headless install (command line) was fine after creating the user and group ignition:ignition.
  • fontconfig was already installed.
  • Needed to install sysvinit-tools to obtain pidof (required to successfully launch the application after installation).

Connectivity from the host operating system was initially blocked by firewalld, which I disabled (along with AppArmor). This manifested as the VM returning an ICMP host unreachable.

No systemd service file was installed so I created one. If you examine the contents you will see that it has a second commented out mode besides forking. In the other mode it runs in the console, and you can monitor the logging with e.g. journalctl -uignition -f. I don’t know which one is best, it would be nice if there was an official service file.

I’m apparently unable to attach the service file, so here it is:

[Unit]
Description=Ignition SCADA
After=network.target

# cat ignition.service
[Service]
User=ignition
Group=ignition
Type=forking
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/ignition/ignition.sh start
ExecStop=/usr/local/bin/ignition/ignition.sh stop
# There is also a console mode
#Type=simple
#ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/ignition/ignition.sh console

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The closest thing to an “official” one would be whatever the Java Service Wrapper shell script generates when it detects systemd as the service mechanism.

Look at the systemdInstall() function in ignition.sh and copy what it appears to output.

(it uses forking)