Ignition Server Sizing and Specification Guide or Calculator?

Is there any existing guide, table or calculator to assist in server hardware specification (system requirements) for an Ignition server (full or Edge) based on use case (workload); considering things such as:

• Total count of connected devices
  • Total I/O count
  • Total count of concurrent connected clients
  • Historian hosted on same computer
  • etc.

The system requirements listed on the dowloads page seem to provide a minimum spec, likely insufficient for heavier workloads.
https://inductiveautomation.com/downloads/

I am looking for something that provides a recommended specification based on actual (anticipated) workload and architecture.

2 Likes

This is very, very hard to benchmark seeing as there are so many variables that factor into it.
My current system runs around 10 clients, 700 tags, db hosted locally at 50 qps, and 50 requests per second. With a Xeon 2.5 GHz processor and 8 gb of ram, 3gb dedicated to Ignition, I stay around 3% cpu usage and 300-700mb of memory. So with that, the load is handled rather easily.

Update, in case someone finds this old question…

It seems Inductive Automation now provides an Ignition Server Sizing and Architecture Guide, linked below for your reference.

https://www.inductiveautomation.com/resources/article/ignition-server-sizing-and-architecture-guide

The way I read it all the example configurations expect that the SQL historical database to be on a separate dedicated machine, though I expect the most common implemented configuration is to have the historical database and Ignition on the same hardware, at least for small-medium implementations. Am I wrong?

The SQL database (MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, etc.) in all of these scenarios below should be on its own dedicated server. If you want to put it on the same server as Ignition, you will need more processing power and memory.

For smaller systems it's not that uncommon to see everything on the same server, though.