Ignition SQL Tags XML Schema

Hello,

I’m wondering if you guys can publish the XML schema file used for importing/exporting SQL tags. I do a lot of tag creation/manipulation using Excel. This used to be very easy when the importing/exporting was done with CSV. I’m just learning the basics of XML and I’m trying to make my own schema file for this. I’m fairly close to figuring it out, but figured that maybe Induction Automation would already have such a file handy.

Thanks.

In 7.6.4 we have brought back CSV tag import and export, however because of the more complex nature of the new alarming system alarm data does not get included in the CSV.

I wrote some scripts to parse the xml file and populate an editable table and then write it back to an xml for re-import. It worked fine until I realized that I didn’t take into account the alarm structure. Once I get it working 100% ill pass it along.

That would be realy nice. :thumb_left:
I need to configure 400+ alarms. :slight_smile:

[quote="jeffkrol"]Hello,

I'm wondering if you guys can publish the XML schema file used for importing/exporting SQL tags. I do a lot of tag creation/manipulation using Excel. This used to be very easy when the importing/exporting was done with CSV. I'm just learning the basics of XML and I'm trying to make my own schema file for this. I'm fairly close to figuring it out, but figured that maybe Induction Automation would already have such a file handy.

Thanks.[/quote]

That would be realy nice. :thumb_left:
I need to configure 400+ alarms. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Any breakthroughs?

I’m bringing this thread back to life. If anyone has any scripts for mass creating tags and configuring alarms it would be greatly appreciated if you could post that here.

I have a system with 1,000 tags that I would like to be able to change the opc address of all of them quickly.

So no schema was ever released? Wouldnt this be very easy for Inductive to do?

We don’t have a schema to release or we would.

This is really easy to do with a CSV or in excel.
In excel look into the FileSystemObject
Then you can just loop through a range like

Dim fso As Object
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim oFile As Object
Set oFile = fso.CreateTextFile('c:\XMLImport.xml')
oFile.writeline "<Tags>"
for x in range
      oFile.writeline "<tag name=>"
oFile.writeline "</Tags>"

I can’t share our actual code since it is NDA.
But others might be able to expound on it further.

getting familiar with the add and edit tag functions I find is much better than dealing with csv or xml files. the sky is the limit as far as adding tags with these methods

Fair. Is there some software you could recommend to edit XMLs on a massive scale? I’m trying to change UDT Parameters and alarm priorities on a massive scale.

Maynard, Thanks for the pointer. I’ve thought about VBA to make these kinds of changes but I was hoping this was a solved problem. I was hoping to avoid the hours to make that tool just so I can make a simple edit in a database mode.

If it is a pretty standard search replace you are doing, like changing an OPC Server name in the path
I always use Notepad++ for that.
It can do RegEx replacements as well as straight find/replace on very large files and multiple files.

I’m not aware of any (doesn’t mean there are none).

A lot of customers do what @diat150 suggests and they lean heavily on scripting within Ignition to edit/create/delete tags.

awk and sed are my friends. :grin: