Ignition User Manual updates

I was curious about this one. I am trying to find more information on bindType to see if there are others kinds, so I can make some more script updates like

tag[property] = {'bindType': 'parameter', 'binding':'Your Value'}

I only know there is parameter and expression as of right now.

Interesting. I figured it would capture the bindType in the example on the system.tag.configure page. Thanks for the report!

On a related matter, it doesn't look like the bindTypes are explicitly spelled out in the manual at all, which is a separate issue altogether. We can certainly add them though.

3 Likes

It's buried in the posts above, but yeah we're looking to add those lists back to the index pages. Part of the struggle is just developing a new way to automated the list, which is possible, but got pushed back by a few other items. Rest assured, we'll add it back.

10 Likes

Will the pane be adjustable? When using a small screen longer items get truncated.

2 Likes

Working on updating the sidebar now, this may not make it into the next build but we should be able to have something up soon.

• For clarification, this upcoming fix will shorten the display labels for those system functions and components pages with long titles so they'll no longer appear truncated. An adjustable pane is on the to-do list, but that will take a little more time to implement.
8 Likes

I like dark mode when it's in the middle of the night on a sailboat in the middle of the ocean.

Outside of that, I keep trying to find out why people use dark mode during the day.

5 Likes

Hey everyone, I wanted to post regarding an update we just pushed out, having to do with links to the old manual.

I've been working with some awesome folks from our Support Apps team to develop a redirection solution. As of now, we have some mappings and redirects in places, so any old bookmarks you come across but haven't updated yourself should redirect you to an appropriate page, or the search results page on the new site. For example, below is a link to the old manual's Gateway Command-Line Utility page. If you click it, it should momentarily redirect you to the new manual's page.

https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC81/Gateway+Command-line+Utility+-+gwcmd

The same is true for 7.9 links:

https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC79/tag

In the case of 8.0 links, since that version isn't LTS and wasn't carried over (excluding the PDF on the legacy manual page), we'll treat as an 8.1 page so folks are at least a bit closer to some helpful docs. For example:

https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC80/Modbus+Addressing

In the case that you have a link pointing at the old site that doesn't perfectly match with an existing page (for example, a link to an 8.0 page that was renamed in the 8.1 manual), we'll instead redirect you to the search page with the page name loaded into the search, as opposed to just leaving you at a 404 page. For example:

https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC81/Not+A+Real+Page

Also, the system doesn't account for anchors, but it does parse out the name of the page and try to redirect, so it should at least get you to the page.

That should take care of about ~90% of use cases. The remaining include a few niche, but important, cases. For example,

• Links to the old programmer's guide won't work yet (they'll need to redirect to the new guide).
  • There's also small collection of links to the old manual that deviated from the /display/DOC##/Page pattern and used a pageID instead (pages/viewpage.action?pageId=#####), specifically in cases where special characters were in the name of the page.

In both cases, we'll work on incorporating them into the new system.

Regarding links on forum posts, most of them should redirect to an appropriate page or search results matching the old page name as of now. As I mentioned above, there are a few special cases we'll need to work on. Once we have the rest of those in, all ~2808 distinct links here on the forums pointing to the docs should be at least somewhat helpful again.

Thanks again for the feedback gang. We'll keep working on the new manual to improve the overall experience.

25 Likes

I notice that the "latest version" link in the banner of the 7.9 page actually takes me to the proper 8.1 article now as well, that's quite nice.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess it still only does it for those sections where the organization is the same between 7.9 and 8.1. Oh well

Circling back to this, forum.ia.io is up and running. The docs redirect should be available sometime next week.

7 Likes

I just noticed this on the system.perspective.openPopup page (I'm not sure if its the same everywhere), but IMO I think the parameter should show up in the left-most column, not the type. When I try to scan the parameters quickly, it's harder to do as I scroll.

I believe it was that way in the old documentation. It isn't a big deal at all, I just think it'll save time if it appears that way, maybe, possibly.

6 Likes

FYI, Download and Upload Files is broken/missing

The documentation software was replaced several months ago. When you follow that link you get a suggested link to the new docs and it seems to work.
There's also a search bar on the docs which works well.

not the same page :confused: (it also refers to the missing page)

At the bottom of each docs page there's a link:

Found a problem? Send us an email: docs@inductiveautomation.com

how did I know that was going to be your next comment!?

2 Likes

Is there offline (a PDF version) to download for the user manual, like previous manual ?

Thanks

1 Like

Good Morning,

While reading through the manual, I came across something that does not seem correct. The Binding script symbol's link and the change script symbol's component link seem to go to change script manual page.

Is this supposed to go to the same page, Perspective Property Change Scripts?

I ask because I can use a binding to just link a tag with no script at all in most cases from my usage of it. From my perspective, this is kind of confusing unless I am missing the why behind it. Can someone help me clarify this please?

Edit:
My main objective is to find the part in the manual where it tells me the perspective properties use the computers RAM and is not stored in a gateway server. I just came across the above reply question while reading and was curious.

Currently no, but there's interested to set something up going forward. Sadly I don't have an ETA on it yet.

Correct, that's the wrong link. Looks like it should go to the Bindings in Perspective page, and really shouldn't mention a script in the link. I'll have someone take a look.

I'm not certain what it you're asking here. The manual really doesn't go into details regarding memory management. You could probably reach out to our support department via web ticket with details on what it is you're trying to do, and I'm sure they'll be able to help you narrow things down.

3 Likes

Good Mornings! Thank you for the super fast replies. Ignition and the team always amazes me with how fast the team works on issues.

For the RAM aspect, we recently came across a problem with a client having memory and RAM issues. I had remembered on a past post I made/contributed on that perspective properties stores on the computers RAM. So, I was just looking for more information on other memory aspects I could be aware of in the future when we are creating our designer projects.

1 Like