Ignore .git folders as project resource?

Hi all!

Trying to get all of our projects on the same page, and our shared scripts seemed like a good place to start. I created a git repository in C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition\data\projects\project name\ignition\script-python, but the designer/gateway throws an error about the .git folder that is created there. Is there anyway to ignore “.git”? I know that the exposure of those folders was meant for version control. Thanks.

IllegalArgumentException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.project.resource.NameInvalidException: Name '.git' is invalid
	caused by NameInvalidException: Name '.git' is invalid

Ignition v8.0.4 (b2019091612)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.4

You should be putting it higher up, in the data/projects folder.

1 Like

At the moment I dont want to do the whole project though, I’d like to just handle the scripts.

You’ll have to handle this with .gitignore or something right now, then.

Right now part of the the project system thinks .git is a folder resource and another is having a fit over the name.

Ignition 8.0.10
@Kevin.Herron

I try to use git with one git repository for one project Ignition.
Instead of a git repository for the whole ignition projects folder.
I don’t wan’t to go deeper like a repo for script only, but for me it make sense that 1 Ignition projet = 1 git repository.

/data/project/global/.git (.git is the directory)
/data/project/global/.gitgnore
/data/project/myProj1/.git
/data/project/myProj2/.git

This works fine, except 2 remarks:

1. when .git folder content change, Ignition Client receive an update message (It must be because anything change in Ignition gateway projects/myProj folder)
  2. when I restore a project from the gateway .git folder is deleted …

If possible, it would be very usefull that Ignition project management system ignore .git folder and .gitignore files ! in the project/myProject folders

3 Likes

Nightly Changelog: 8.1.15-b2022020216

Platform
5375: Allow an Ignition project to be used as a Git repo (ignore .git folder)

Now automatically excluding .git, .hg, and .svn folders when scanning project files for changes.

4 Likes

Coming back to this with the same issues here, just a different . folder!

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.project.resource.NameInvalidException: Name '.jython_cache' is invalid

Is there any reason that the feature change couldn't just be to either ignore all invalid project resource names or ignore all dot folders/files?