IllegalComponentStateException: component must be showing

Have an issue with one user that has repeated twice. We deleted the cache folder under his user .ignition folder and it allowed temporary usage but it came back.

We admittedly on an old version in part because its difficult to get buy in to perform updates and we had issues with some of the pre-7.2.5 builds. He has be a power user since the beginning and has not made changes explicitly around this. And I dont think he has updated his JRE in a while.

Basically, he can open the Designer and edit the projects he wants like once but then next time he tries to connect. After select the project to load he gets the following messages. I have not seen anyone else have the problem and cannot reproduce myself.

He does not have any window managers (like Ultramon or Actual Windows Manager) but does have 2 antivirus installs (Trendmicro and Security Essentials) I asked him to disable one in case there were file conflicts.

His machine does have both a wired and wireless connection for some reason though presumably that is not an issue.

Any ideas or suggestions other than update to latest and retry?

Ignition v7.1.8-beta3 (b6130)
Java: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_20

java.awt.IllegalComponentStateException: component must be showing on the screen to determine its location
               at java.awt.Component.getLocationOnScreen_NoTreeLock(Unknown Source)
               at java.awt.Component.getLocationOnScreen(Unknown Source)
               at com.jidesoft.alert.Alert.internalShowPopup(Unknown Source)
               at com.jidesoft.popup.JidePopup.showPopup(Unknown Source)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.ConnectionHealthListener.setConnectionOk(ConnectionHealthListener.java:132)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.ConnectionHealthListener.propertyChange(ConnectionHealthListener.java:164)
               at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(Unknown Source)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.AbstractGatewayConnection.setConnectionUp(AbstractGatewayConnection.java:506)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.AbstractGatewayConnection.notifyGatewayException(AbstractGatewayConnection.java:608)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.fireGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:141)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:239)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.getResponse(GatewayInterface.java:355)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:208)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:199)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gateway.DTGatewayInterface.loadProject(DTGatewayInterface.java:294)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$ProjectOpenTask.run(IgnitionDesigner.java:1045)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.ProgressDialog$TaskRunner.run(ProgressDialog.java:208)
               at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Ignition v7.1.8-beta3 (b6130)
Java: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_20

Error2
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Gateway Error 600: Gateway connection is not up.
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gateway.PriviledgedDesignerTask.run(PriviledgedDesignerTask.java:114)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gateway.PriviledgedDesignerTask.runTask(PriviledgedDesignerTask.java:69)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gateway.DTGatewayInterface.invoke(DTGatewayInterface.java:80)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gateway.DTGatewayInterface.invoke(DTGatewayInterface.java:75)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gateway.DTGatewayInterface.getProjectList(DTGatewayInterface.java:204)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.ProjectDialog.initData(ProjectDialog.java:119)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.ProjectDialog.<init>(ProjectDialog.java:106)
               at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$StartupProjectDialogHandler$2.run(IgnitionDesigner.java:397)
               at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
               at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

This may be a problem we fixed in the 7.2.5 regarding the caching of the incorrect address of a multi-nic server.

You might try and install the latest version on a side-machine and verify that this problem does or does not occur before upgrading.

Ok thanks. Dont think its that problem since the server is single NIC though client is not. I do have 7.2.5 running but not for production yet so get get him to really test on that. I did have other problems with client caching fixed with 7.2.5 but none were present in 7.1.8.

Felt like a corruption problem. I noticed his machine locking up and he would kill processes so perhaps there was an incomplete write to a file or something.

Thanks for info though.

solving a previous issue as explained here viewtopic.php?f=70&t=8880
by a port changing, i get a new error: when i open some project (not all), i get the same above exception:

[code]java.awt.IllegalComponentStateException: component must be showing on the screen to determine its location
at java.awt.Component.getLocationOnScreen_NoTreeLock(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.getLocationOnScreen(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.alert.Alert.internalShowPopup(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.popup.JidePopup.showPopup(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.ConnectionHealthListener.setConnectionOk(ConnectionHealthListener.java:133)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.ConnectionHealthListener.propertyChange(ConnectionHealthListener.java:165)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.AbstractGatewayConnection.setConnectionUp(AbstractGatewayConnection.java:566)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.AbstractGatewayConnection.notifyGatewayException(AbstractGatewayConnection.java:672)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.fireGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:170)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:313)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.getResponse(GatewayInterface.java:450)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:248)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:239)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gateway.DTGatewayInterface.loadProject(DTGatewayInterface.java:349)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$StartupProjectDialogHandler$1.run(IgnitionDesigner.java:377)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Ignition v7.5.3 (b1163)
Java: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_33
[/code]

the machine has 2 virtual NICs but the IP were never changed.
the machine reboot doesn’t solve.
the only way to open the project in adesigner is opening the designer in a remote session locally on the server :frowning:
any suggestion? tnx

I know you said that the IP address didn’t change, but check and verify that your connecting to the right IP address and making sure there is an exception in the firewall for the port number you’re using.

i’m sure i’m connecting to the correct IP and there is a forwarding to the same port of the server.
but i realized that after the above exception i get also 4 exceptions, like this one:

GatewayException: The connection to the gateway is not available.

Have you tried clearing the .ignition folder under the user’s home directory on the machine having the issue?

Do you have any kind of antivirus installed on the computer?
Are you able to connect with a different client machine other than the one your currently trying to use?
Do you have enough memory on the gateway server? Are you running out of memory?
Can you turn on the Java console and see if any errors are there when you try to launch the project?

this solved the issue!
wonderful