Importing from FactoryPMI

Is it possible to import a FactoryPMI .fpmi file into Ignition?

The only FactoryPMI file you can bring into Ignition is a FactoryPMI Gateway Backup file (*.fpgb). That’s done through the Backup/Restore area on the Configuration page of the gateway.

I’ve got a backup of an old system demo I did on FactoryPMI years ago, but I only have a .fpmi file. I guess I’ll have to install FactoryPMI and load the .fpmi file in order to create a .fpgb file.

Yep, that’ll be the way to do it. For best results, make sure you use the most recent version of FactoryPMI to create the .fpgb file as well (FactoryPMI 3.3.4)

I tried to import a legacy FPMI project as well, I have the .fpgb file and I’m using Ignition 8.0.16.
It won’t let me:

Isn’t it supported anymore?

I tried installing FPMI but I’m having issues with it too. I don’t know which would be the easiest solution.

FPMI/FSQL restoration is not supported in 8.0.X. You can install 7.9.X, restore your legacy file, and then take an Ignition backup (.gwbk) and restore it to 8.0.X.

I tried to import it but it failed. See screenshot below and log. I tried to disable DB connections but then it complains about not finding auth profile. We don't need to run everything in this project, we're going to upgrade it and we need to open the FPMI file just as a reference, so it's no big deal if we lose the DB connections for example.

Log:

INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/09/14 10:54:56 | E [c.i.i.g.w.p.c.l.ImportOptionsPanel$ProgressPanel] [15:54:56]: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.conversion.ConversionException: Could not find matching driver: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/09/14 10:54:56 | com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.conversion.ConversionException: Could not find matching driver: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/09/14 10:54:56 | at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.conversion.exchange.ImportedDatasource.createDatabaseRecord(ImportedDatasource.java:74)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/09/14 10:54:56 | at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.gateway.ConversionHandler.handleDBConnections(ConversionHandler.java:499)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/09/14 10:54:56 | at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.gateway.ConversionHandler.handleUpgrade(ConversionHandler.java:150)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/09/14 10:54:56 | at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.web.pages.config.legacyupgrade.ImportOptionsPanel$ProgressPanel$LegacyImportRunner.run(ImportOptionsPanel.java:113)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2020/09/14 10:54:56 | at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

hello, I have been looking for similar advice. I have a client on FactoryPMI and need to get the to Ignition. I have downloaded lgnition 7.9 and tried using the fpgb file. But it wasnt happy and told me i must use a gwbk file whick i dont have. What am i missing? thank you

The one time I imported from FPMI I think I started with the last version of 7.5. Updated JDBC then took a backup from that to load in the last version of 7.7. Updated JDBC again to load into 7.9. (8.1 wasn’t out back then, but that the next step.)

It looks like the legacy upgrade code path still exists in 7.9… are you sure you uploaded the fpgb file on the “Legacy Upgrade” tab and not somewhere else?