Importing Tag information and working with XML

Two questions

1. To get the most out of importing and exporting tags, it’s my understanding that I need to export my tag information to XML, however the post powerful means I have of bulk editing tags is in a true table like format where all headers are displayed and any tag that doesn’t have anything associated with that column is left blanks (i.e. a CSV file.

Is there a program that gives the power and flexibility of the CSV format, but uses XML? If not, what’s the best program or python script y’all have used with the Ignition XML file for bulk tag creation.

1. When creating a tag in Ignition, I can leave the Source Data Type as which does a good job of figuring out the data being worked with. If I export that tag to a CSV file in the column labeled “SourceDataType” there is no entry (since it’s automatic). However, when I import that CSV file back into ignition, it now has my source data type set to “Byte”. Is there a way to leave the source data type as automatic when importing back into Ignition from a CSV?
  1. I have not seen any CSV like programs for editing XML files. The one tool I use the most for editing XMLs and creating tag.xml files is Sublime Text 2. Works fine for almost everything I do on a daily basis that requires a text/XML editor.

2. Assuming you are using Ignition 7.8.2, or prior, the issue of the source datatype being changed to byte has been fixed in Ignition 7.8.3.

I just use editTag and AddTag functions to make mass modifications to tags. I guess it will depend on how uniform your tag structure is on how useful that would be to you.

[quote="Greg.Simpson"]
2) Assuming you are using Ignition 7.8.2, or prior, the issue of the source datatype being changed to byte has been fixed in Ignition 7.8.3.[/quote]

Ah, yes I'm using 7.8.2, it's just a test environment so I'll make the upgrade :slight_smile:

I like this idea a lot. I do very uniform tag naming so I will definitely look into this, thanks!