Importing Tags from Allen Bradley PLC

Does anybody knows if it is possible to export tags from Allen Bradley plc program and import the names of that tags in ignition?

Or is it necessary to create one by one in ignition?

I hope you can help me out with this doubt.
Regards.

I don’t think you can export them in a format Ignition would be able to directly read, but if you open them via OPC Browser, you can drag and drop them into the tag browser or into your transactions. That should speed it up compared to one by one creation.

2 Likes

You can also save the program to either L5K or L5X and then parse them as text or xml.
Then loop and generate the XML import file for Ignition.

1 Like

You really shouldn’t blindly import everything… that’ll put unnecessary and usually troublesome comms load on the driver. It also tends to yield folder structures that aren’t well suited to templating and window parameter passing.

3 Likes

Yes. And you can multi-select using shift and ctrl-click to make selective dragging over more efficient. If your PLC tags are well structured, you can often avoid a lot of this by setting up UDTs in Ignition which just need a root tag path given to them to get all the member paths.

Thank you guys, this information is awesome. I’ll try with this, is very useful.

Regards.

I forgot to mention you can arrange tags by dragging into folders and then turn that into a UDT to get a headstart on creating UDTs:

1 Like

This Ignition Exchange resource will create a simulator from an L5K file, representing a ControlLogix PLC.

1 Like

I guessing Travis hasn’t ever bothered to play with my Ethernet/IP driver and its L5X import…

1 Like

Ooh - do you have any other devices or formats?

No other device types. Just AB Logix. The import preserves the last saved data from the PLC, too. And if the device is permitted to bind to a local IP address, external tools (including Ignition’s own Logix driver) will be able to connect to it and read its tags as if it were a real processor. Handy to see what your Logix comms load will be in the real application.

3 Likes