Indirection on Easy Chart

I was trying to do indirection using an Easy Chart since it appear sto be possible, yet I was getting errors with this. After looking through the forum, it seemed that indirection is not really possible with an Easy Chart, an instead it is recommended to use a Classic Chart. I have switched to using a Classic Chart and indirection is working fine, but I do miss some things that were available in the Easy Chart such as Chart Mode and the easy checkbox type of Pen Control selection.

I am also looking for a way to dynamically change the linear/logarithmic scale of the axes via script with the Classic Chart. I was doing this with the Easy Chart.

First is it true that indirection is not recommended/possible with the Easy Chart? And if so, is there a plan to support indirection with the Easy Chart in the future?

Thanks,
Bob

What part of the Easy Chart were you trying to make dynamic (through indirection)? If it’s pens or axes you’re trying to change at-will, you can usually do that pretty easily.

Also, what version of Ignition are you running? Or is this FPMI?

I am trying to change the pens with no luck. I am using Ignition 7.5.1.

If I drag and drop tags on the Easy Chart it works fine.

But if I try to bind the same tags using “Indirect Tag”, I get the error message “Cannot coerce value ‘5.7’ into type: interface com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.Dataset”. When I get this error I must exit the project without saving to get rid of the error. Removing the binding does not get rid of the error.

If I try to bind using “Tag History”, which works fine with a Classic Chart, I get many pens created ( I should get only two pens) and no values are plotted. I use Realtime with a 10 minute range, just as I do with the Classic Chart.

Those pens work differently than the “data” property of a classic chart. Those pens hold specific metadata about how the tag is displayed on the chart, and what the tag_path for that tag is. It doesn’t hold the actual stored data for a tag. To achieve indirection, you will use the cell update binding to modify the tag_path of a pen in realtime. The IA youtube channel has a video that shows how to do this:

youtube.com/watch?v=NxVKA3fNsnM