Inheritance project naming

90% of my wasted time is on naming and here I am again asking more questions.

I am trying to decide what to name my inherited project, i have seen global, core, etc... Do you have any naming standards or recommendations on how you name yours? I just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

My recommendations are here:

{ Worth reviewing the whole topic. }

3 Likes

I'll check it out, thanks!

I've got 3 inherited projects.

1. Common
  2. Water (inherits from Common)
  3. Grain (inherits from Common)

Then, when a water project comes along, it inherits from Water and when a grain project comes along, it inherits from Grain. Of course, all scripts are kept in the Common project because you can only have one scripting project on a gateway, but the Common project has a Common package, a Water package, and a Grain package for organization.

1 Like

Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but "Water" inherits all of the scripts in "Common", so why wouldn't you set the GW scripting project to "Water"?

Well all the projects are on the same gateway. That would mean that if I restore the GWBK for a grain project I would have to remember to change the scripting project.

I'm pretty certain you also can't use an inheritable project as the gateway scripting project. I thought I tried that once and it never worked until I split out the gateway scripting project.

Well, it's been working for me (8.1.35)

1 Like

You can. In fact, that's what you get when you convert a v7.9 gateway backup.

Now it makes me wonder what I was doing wrong.

Seems reasonable to me, just like you have to remember to change the Ignition Gateway system name for every project, and the users, etc.
I would actually normally set the scripting project to the main project, assuming you've only got one