Install a SQL Database System in Ignition in 30 Seconds

The Database Module is the easiest, fastest and most convenient way to get started using SQL databases with Ignition.

Instead of having to install a database system and a GUI program to manage your databases and have to configure them, you can simply upload the Database Module into Ignition. The Database Module gives you a SQL database ready to be used, a datasource already configured and ready to be used, and a simple GUI program to manage your databases right in Ignition ready to be launched and used.

Here's a video where I use the Database Module to install a SQL database system and a graphical user interface for managing databases, and create a database and configure a database connection, all in 30 seconds:

You can use the Database Module to easily and quickly start the development of Ignition projects. You can use it for testing, and you can use it for demonstration purposes, like showing how easy it is to install and use SQL databases with Ignition. You can use it for other purposes you can imagine.

The databases you make with the Database Module can be used for the life of your applications or you can switch to another database system at the end of development or at some point in the life of your projects. The database system provided by the Database Module tries to be compatible with popular database systems and provides compatibility modes to make switching to other database system easier.

The Database Module is free.

The Database Module embeds a fast, pure Java SQL database engine called H2 in Ignition. In addition it provides a Database Editor project that is used to create/alter/drop database tables and view/query/edit data in database tables.

More information about the Database Module can be found here:

A video demo of the Database Module is here:

The documentation for the Database Module is here:
http://doc.perfectabstractions.com/modules/database/

Documentation for the H2 database is here:

3 Likes

What’s the performance like? Is it comparable to the big engines, or do you need to watch out with the number of queries?

I guess it would be very interesting for projects where we use a DB engine for the sole purpose of historian logging, audit logging and similar standard Ignition features.

From what I have read H2 is very fast for small and medium amounts of data. Part of the reason for this is because it is embedded. I don’t know what the performance of H2 is like with Ignition with lots of data.

The H2 database website has some documentation about its performance and performance tuning here: http://www.h2database.com/html/performance.html

When someone does run a lot of data with H2 in Ignition I would like to know how it goes.

1 Like