IP Camera Revisited

We are in the middle of our first Ignition implementation and although everything is going great, the customer now wants to add some cameras on the end of his production line to capture images of the finished parts to store with the data already collected. We have looked on the net for IP cameras and are finding only cameras used for security etc. and they all seem to require their own proprietary software/hardware to use them. We really only want to hook up IP cameras to Ignition HMI’s, trigger the camera and store the image. Any one out there with current experience and / or suggestions?

Some general background. There are 4 main methods of streaming video over IP:

JPEG stills

This is the most basic method and simply involves the client requesting a still picture from the camera at a fixed interval.

MJPEG stream

This is a more advanced version of JPEG stills and automates the process a bit more, with the camera sending the stream out at a fixed rate, often 25fps. It is possible to set the amount of compression used, thereby affecting the quality and the bit rate.

MPEG-4

This can achieve higher compression (and therefore lower bit rates) than MJPEG, at the cost of more work for both the sender and receiver.

H.264, also known as MPEG-4 Part 10

This is the latest standard and can achieve higher compression than MPEG-4.

At the moment it is only possible to use the first 2 streaming methods with Ignition, so look for cameras with this capability. If the camera has a Pan/Tilt/Zoom mount it is often possible to control it by sending data to it attached to the camera’s URL.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. We are probably looking for the JPEG stills as we only want to image a part in a fixed position front & back (part is approx 4’x8’) from two fixed tables. Would like ability to zoom in/out to visually inspect as required if customer has issues with the part. Does anyone have any camera recommendations?

I need more information, such as:

1. What is the environment like? (Do your camera’s need IP or NEMA ratings? lots of dust?)
  2. Do you have a wall or ceiling mount to which power and Ethernet cabling can be run?
  3. Who has access to the network? (Privacy and other concerns?)
  4. What sort of budget do you have, and how many cameras do you need?
  5. What capabilities do the cameras need (Light? IR? Resolution? Sounds like fixed will work or do you need PTZ?)

I have used the Android App named “IP Webcam” by Pavel Khlebovich (on my previous phone) for Proof of Concept testing. Ignition can connect to it fine, with a little work you can have:

• selection of front or back camera,
  • zoom
  • timing
  • password protection
  • a “camera” battery backup, WiFi etc.

I would configure the IP Cam to start on boot up, and also set up a remote control for the phone if it needs to be up high for more than a few days.
Unless the client has cash to burn, set up a “IP camera”, and see if they think that image is worth $X. Don’t forget to put this scope creep on paper and Bill for it!

-Robert

What is the environment like? (Do your camera’s need IP or NEMA ratings? lots of dust?) Clean, and NO to Nema, no to dust
Do you have a wall or ceiling mount to which power and Ethernet cabling can be run? Yes, and can readily build if needed
Who has access to the network? (Privacy and other concerns?) Privacy is not an issue.
What sort of budget do you have, and how many cameras do you need? Budget has not been an issue, but of course, there will be limitations. We will need 2, one for front of part and one for back of part; these are automotive headliners.
What capabilities do the cameras need (Light? IR? Resolution? Sounds like fixed will work or do you need PTZ?) Fixed should work, lighting should be acceptable, IR is not required.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Oh yeah, What camera are you talking about?

This camera works and the video is superb, 2.1 MP, Bullet, very high quality camera for the money $169.00(USD).
Night vision up to 130’
Model - Alibi - ALI-NS3022R

The secret to using IP camera’s with Ignition is you have to use the “Streaming address of the camera” Not the ip address that their software wants to connect to.(the camera’s software).

Here’s an example of the address for this camera.

http://10.0.0.43/streaming/channels1/picture:8000

the IP is the ip that you will need to assign to the camera for your network, the 8000 is the default port assigned to the camera.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Here’s a screen shot of camera setup don’t forget user name and password because you can set it up for authentication

Contact Greg Santos of Longwatch (cell: 508-878-5744) - they supply cameras and software, and have worked with Ignition before (I think it’s in use at the Tesla plant for one, which is cool).

Just to throw it out there, I have used the information found here for years. You can look for your camera model and see an example of URLs that could be used to connect. Just keep in mind that Ignition’s IP Camera component only supports MJPEG and JPEG Stills.

1 Like

We use Axis cameras in an application similar to yours and they work fantastic.