Is it possible to create XY Stacked Bar Chart?

I want to create a stacked bar chart that uses time series data, i.e. the x-axis contains times.

I don’t believe I can do this with the Bar Chart component.

If I use the (Classic) Chart Component I can set the type to XY Bar Renderer.

This almost does what I want. However the bars are not stacked, they appear behind one another.

Here is an example using the classic chart (set to XY Bar Renderer):

I know I can sort of achieve this using the standard Bar Chart but as per this example, there is no data between 10am and 9am the next day, so the graph shows a gap, which is exactly what I want. But had I supplied the same data into the standard Bar Chart then I wouldn’t have got the gap.

I hope this makes sense. Is there a way to achieve this?

Anyone?

Having tried to do this using the standard bar chart it is not ideal at all, particularly when you get data that spans over a few days. I can’t set my categories to be just hours, e.g. “08:00”, “09:00”, “10:00” etc because as soon as I get into the next day then any data at the same time gets grouped with data from the previous day, i.e. all the “08:00” data gets put together.

So I have to have my labels as “Tue 08:00”, “Tue 09:00” , … , “Wed 01:00”, “Wed 02:00” etc meaning the labels are getting long, so I rotate them to 90 degrees but it still displays every single one so it’s looking very cluttered and not very user friendly.

Plus as stated previously if I didn’t have any data for a particular hour it would just be missed, I wouldn’t automatically get a gap.

Hmm… for a purely visual effect you could add a dataset to the chart to hold the “stacked” data. Basically, you’d add to the previous values:

if event.propertyName=='Data': dataIn=event.source.parent.getComponent('Chart').Data headers = list(dataIn.getColumnNames()) pyData=system.dataset.toPyDataSet(dataIn) newData=[] for row in pyData: newRow=[row[0],row[1]] for col in range(2,len(row)): newRow.append(row[col]+newRow[col-1]) newData.append(newRow) event.source.parent.getComponent('Chart').StackedBar=system.dataset.toDataSet(headers,newData)

I say purely visual, because, of course, the subsequent values get changed.

Jordan - thanks that is an interesting idea, was completely confused by what you meant at first but then suddenly it clicked.