Is it possible to indirect tag my OPC Server and so that I can change (via a Gateway Event Script) which OPC server I am polling

Hello All,

I currently have 2 connection paths to develop my ignition project:

1. I originally used the Ignition OPC-UA Server and connected to my PLC
  2. I later used the FactoryTalk Linx Gateway to connect to an Emulated PLC (Studio 5000 Logix Emulate)

I have the connection to both up and running fine. and they both contain exactly the same tags. My reason for doing this is because sometimes I work in the office with a PLC on hand and sometimes I work remotely without a PLC available.

QUESTION:
Basically I would like to switch all of my ignition project tags from using the Ignition OPC-UA Server to using the FactoryTalk Linx Gateway OPC-UA Server at will.

What is currently working:
I figured I could do this by specifying 2 Data Type Parameters for each of my UDTs: 1 called “ServerName” and 1 called “ns_number”.

I would then pass in the strings “Ignition OPC-UA Server” and “1” for my respective parameters if I wanted to use the Ignition OPC-UA server OR I would pass in “FactoryTalkLinxServer” and “3” for my respective parameters if using the FactoryTalk Linx Gateway.

This also works fine.

ISSUE:
My issue is that in the Data Type Parameters section, I would like to add a Memory tag into the value section. This way I can write to the memory tag via a Gateway Event Script and change all my tags from 1 OPC Server to another. However, the Data Type Parameter values section does not accept my memory tag.

SOLUTION?
Is there a better way to go about this switch?

Odd workaround:
I could also export the Tag xml file, find and replace all the OPC server and ns_number instances but this seems hokey.

Thanks!!

With ignition 8 you can use some parameter for opcserver and item ans it is possible to write those parameters with a script to change the values

Project Spec requires v7.9.xx in my case. Do you know if this is possible in v7.9.xx?

Consider just renaming the devices manually.

As in on the Gateway side for the Server names? wouldnt the ns=# still be different? When looking it up, ns stands for name space ID/Index, but Im not sure what the implications are of changing it. Ive always simply copied this portion over when dealing with OPC-UA without much thought.

I’ve yet to see a namespace index other than “1” for the drivers I use.