Issue loading external python library like xlsxwriter

We have use case where we are trying to generate report in excel format. For excel formatting, we are using xlsxwriter library. We copied this external library to the pylib folder but when I am importing this library, its giving me an error saying, No module named xlsxwriter.

Ignition Version : 8.0.14.

The doc doesnt say and I don’t know how to check, but I suspect that library has some C-based dependencies. You can only use Java-based Python 2.7 libraries

Consider using the Apache POI Java library that is distributed with Ignition. Ignition v8.0.14 has Apache POI v4.1.1 built-in. As a native java library it will run faster than any python library, and you don’t have to install anything.

Hello Kumad,
I had that problem a long time ago. I suggest you use Apache POI Just copy the .jar packages you need into: “C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition\lib\core”. Depending on where you throw the scripts you must copy them in the folders of the scope that you will work.

Attention: When you make the back-up of the gateway these folders are not copied. You must do it by hand.

If you don’t like this you can always choose to buy the Kymera Office Document Module. It’s only 200$. You save time and health.

For one of my project, this is working fine. Is it something to do with ignition version ?

More like Python vs Jython, which is a Java implementation of Python, and is used in Ignition. Any libraries with C dependencies will not work in Jython.

That said, however, you could try moving it to pylib/site-packages and see if that does anything for you.

If it's still a no-go, consider using the Apache libraries.

I think v7 uses Jython 2.5, 8 moved to 2.7

Hello All,
I am running into same issue. I have scheduled reports , that goes out on clients ftps server in .xlsx format. I was using .xlsxlibrary to convert .csv to .xlsx.
But same script is not working in ignition 8.1. Can anybody share steps about how to use Apache POI to do this .

sorry, i meant xlsxwriter Library