[Issue- Resolved] Can't launch designer

Do you want to request a feature or report a bug, or provide feedback?

Please note that topics in this forum are intended to relate to Ignition 8.0. General non-8.0-specific feedback should continue to be posted in the General forum, and feature requests unrelated specifically to new 8.0 functionality should continue to be made via https://ideas.inductiveautomation.co as this forum will be archived upon release of Ignition 8.0.

What is the current behavior?

If the current behavior is a bug, please provide the steps to reproduce and if possible a minimal demo of the problem. Your bug will get fixed much faster if we can run your code/project.

What is the expected or desired behavior (if applicable)?

What is the build date of the Ignition-8.0.0-SNAPSHOT you reporting/commenting on (check file creating date/time)?

*Build Date:11/6/2018 2:31AM

Please provide the following if applicable to your issue/comment:

*GW Java Version:Zulu 1.8.0_172-b001
*Client Java Version:N/A
*Browser:Firefox
*Browser Version: 63.0.1 (64 Bit)

I am sorry to hear that you aren’t currently able to launch the designer. Would it be possible to provide the following information regarding the OS you are attempting to run the designer on?:

System type: Windows, Linux, Mac, Other
OS Version

Also:

1. Is there any other version of Java installed on the system you are using?
  2. Is there any other program on the system you are using that bundles it’s own version of Java?

Yeah, just hit the enter button a little too quick;

Fresh Intall of Ignition 8
Java Version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu 8.30.0.1-win64) (build 1.8.0_172-b01)
Browser Version: Firefox Quantum 63.0.1 (64 Bit)

Gateway loaded fine and is running.
Downloaded the DesignerLauncherSetup.exe and attempted to launch designer. Got the following:

I suspect the issue is with my Java version. I could revert back to Oracle Java and that would likely solve my issue but then we wouldn’t learn anything and that’s no fun.

Actually, the launchers, gateway, and even vision clients are all running their own embedded Java in 8.0, so your system java shouldn’t be affecting anything. When you launch DesignerLauncherSetup.exe, is it prompting you to run as administrator? Can you specifically attempt to do so if it’s not?

1 Like

Problem solved, it was my Antivirus software (PCMatic) blocking the exe. The error is threw wasn’t helpful but your last post reminded me that I have seen this before after switching the Open Source Java.

Thanks

1 Like