Issue with Designer/Vision Client Launchers on Linux with HiDPI displays

I am trying to get my designer working under Linux, I found another forum thread about adding the custom JVM arguments and I have tried that, but the designer window still launches jumbled. See attached screenshots.

My JVM arguments

"jvm.arguments": ["-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.0"],

I think I resolved this myself, I noticed in the log it was still using the 1.5 value that I had given it initially, I removed the .ignition folder and launched again and then added my

"jvm.arguments": ["-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.0"],

And it looks correct now, it seems that not every element in swing respects a decimal scaling value.

For anyone coming back to this thread, after some more trial and error trying to get the best designer experience on my Linux workstation, I’ve learned a few more things dealing with the designer on HiDPI displays.
The KDE desktop environment seems to handle the launcher portion of the designer best out of the box.
The arguments I use to get correct display scaling, and font smoothing are the following.

-Dsun.java2d.uiScale.enabled=true;-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on;-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.0

There is also some large appearance gains when using a Wayland session as opposed to X11.

Update:
Added “-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.0” because it’s essential on Gnome DE distros and it doesn’t hurt with KDE.

3 Likes