Issues w/ OPC-COM & ABB IRC5 OPC Server

Running 7.0.5.4679 …

The ABB OPC Server is running on the same machine as the Ignition Gateway …

I’m able to browse through the tags using the Quick Client, however when I subscribe to a tag the Quality reads Bad_ConfigurationError …

I’ve adjusted the settings of my OPC Connection … tried checking the Use DA2 when possible checkbox, no luck … tried checking the Remote Server checkbox (along with providing the IP Address and CLSID) … no luck …

When I check the Log Viewer, the only error I’m seeing logged relates to when I subscribe from the Quick Client …

[quote]Message: Failure code returned from OPC server when adding item to subscription. Path: ‘blahblahblah’ Return Code: ‘-1073479673’
Logger: com.inductiveautomation.opccom.wrapper.subscriptions.COMSubscriptions$AddItemJob[/quote]
I’m able to retrieve and write values successfully from the HMI screens (not Ignition), so I’m led to believe the problem lies somewhere within Ignition …

Any ideas?

Try upgrading to 4730, and let us know if that fixes the issue

No luck … still the same issue, same error …

Well, the message coming back from the server is a straightforward (heh, when you can magically read it) error saying “Address rejected”.

With an address like “blahblahblah”, it’s no surprise :laughing:

But really, what do the real messages say? Do the paths it gives you look good? Have you tried another OPC client? I would take a simple client like Kepware’s quickclient or Matrikon’s OPC Explorer and connect to the server, browse and add an item, and compare the paths.

If nothing jumps out after that, we can get a bit more advanced and put something between Ignition and the OPC server to try and glean more info about why it doesn’t like what it’s being sent.

The path’s look correct … they’re all lowercase within the error message …

I used Matrikon’s OPC Explorer and was able to browse and add items … all showed up with a good quality …

I was told by a co-worker that in the HMI package we’re using, if we don’t use the correct casing when referencing tags within the ABB OPC Server, the values won’t be read … however diving into my SQLTags Provider database, I’m noticing that the OPCItemPath values within the sqlt_meta table have the correct casing … could it be a matter of casing? Is only the error message being generated in lowercase?

Eek, I’ve never heard of an OPC server being case-sensitive on the path, but if your coworker already knows that’s a problem with the server, I believe it.

I definitely believe (though haven’t confirmed) that the OPC-COM module is lower casing tag paths for tracking purposes and is sending them like that. We should be able to tweak it to send them as entered without much difficultly, which will hopefully help you out.

I should be able to get you an updated OPC-COM module by monday.

Regards,

Ah, thank you Colby … hopefully that’ll prove to be the source of the problem …

Just bumping the thread as a gentle reminder ... :slight_smile:

The fix for this has been included in 7.0.6.