Java Gateway Exception

I am using Ignition on a Linux machine. Using Vision while copying/pasting SQL tags, I have had this error occur numerous times.

GatewayException: Gateway Error 60001: Error executing asynchronous task.
caused by TimeoutException: Results for asynchronous rpc call were not received within the specified amount of time [60000 ms] for task ‘2f00deca-bbf2-4a7c-b820-b894897fc6c9’

Ignition v7.2.1 (b6516)
Java: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_20

I noticed that I am using an older version of Java on this machine. I will upgrade and see if the problem persists.

Okay, this is strange. I updated to the .23 version of java. When I start Gateway, it says I am using .23 When I start vision it says I am using version .20. How do I tell it to update its configuration?

Solved the version problem by removing the other version that is installed by default in OpenSuse. After doing this I had to associate the jnlp file type with javaws which is found in /etc/alternatives.

Now, after doing all this, I still am having the gateway exception problem, but with more detail.

Help!

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Gateway Error 60001: Error executing asynchronous task.
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:278)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:248)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:214)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:655)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.sqltags.impl.db.DatasourceTagManager.removeTags(DatasourceTagManager.java:357)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.sqltags.impl.ClientTagManagerImpl.removeTags(ClientTagManagerImpl.java:284)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.TagUtilities.removeTags(TagUtilities.java:246)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.tree.dnd.TreeDnDHandler.exportDone(TreeDnDHandler.java:114)
at javax.swing.TransferHandler$DragHandler.dragDropEnd(TransferHandler.java:1567)
at java.awt.dnd.DragSourceContext.dragDropEnd(DragSourceContext.java:399)
at sun.awt.dnd.SunDragSourceContextPeer$EventDispatcher.run(SunDragSourceContextPeer.java:432)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Results for asynchronous rpc call were not received within the specified amount of time [60000 ms] for task ‘3249ed50-4a91-4495-b12f-b3a12230a66e’
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.progress.ClientProgressManager$RunningTask.waitForResult(ClientProgressManager.java:332)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:236)
… 17 more

Ignition v7.2.1 (b6516)
Java: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_23

I suspect that the error is harmless. We’ve noticed something similar to this in our automated testing system, but haven’t been able to nail it down exactly. Basically, I think that the system is sometimes waiting on a “long running” task that actually isn’t long running at all- in fact, has already finished. So, after a minute, you get this error saying that it has timed out.

Do all of your tags get imported correctly? The only other possibility is that the operation really is timing out, which would be unlikely.

Regards,

Unfortunately, it is not completely harmless (actually not even “mostly harmless”). Every time I try to drag a tag to a folder this occurs and while it is occurring, Designer is locked up for 60 seconds (the timeout period). I work on something else and then come back clear the error and proceed. Not a positive experience…

I see… in the few times I’ve seen it, it didn’t affect the designer, and everything just kept going along. What your describing definitely doesn’t seem harmless. I’ll try to see if I can track down some lead on why this might be happening, but in the mean time, if it’s happening consistently for you perhaps you could log some details and send them in:

1. In the gateway, go to Console>Level and look for “Progress”. Set the level of “Gateway.ProgressManager” to “All”
  2. In the designer, go to “Help>Diagnostics”
  3. Next to the tabs, right click, and add “logging levels”.
  4. Look through the list for the entry that ends with “ClientProgressManager” and set it to all (trace).
  5. Go through your procedure that locks the designer up.

Now, on the gateway side, just grab the “wrapper.log” file from the install directory. On the gateway side, go back to Help>Diagnostics, and select the “console” tab. Unfortunately I think you’ll have to manually select everything and copy/paste it into note pad. Send those two files to support@inductiveautomation.com, or post them here, and hopefully it will help me track this down more quickly.

After doing all this, you can set those two loggers back to “info”.

If you don’t have time for all this, don’t worry. I’m going to try a variety of things on different machines, but if you can get that I’m sure it will help.

Regards,