Java setup is not valid for launching mobile VMs or Conne

I have a successful demo version of Ignition 7.5 set up for my client charting MySQL historian values from their process. Thank you for an open source solution to sell in good conscience to my valued customers, that does not lock them yet into another upgrade treadmill. Thank you very much.

Browsing to IP.Addr:8088/main/system/mobile with any of Chrome, Opera or Dolphin browsers and trying to have it come up on my Android Tablet, which is a Google Nexus 7 running Jelly Bean 4.2.2 connected to their local WiFi, No Joy as yet.

I found the forum posting about the need for changing the Mobile Settings to add a path to the java executable /usr/bin/java (no BAD spell checker usr - not /user/bin/java) in the forum topic
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=8401

I have a Ignition login screen come up, and log in,
followed by an “Initializing…” message box,
but am still getting mostly

Error - Connection reset - Restart

or Java setup is not valid for launching mobile VMs
sometimes if I mangle the java path

and since additionally installing the full jdk package with Synaptic openjdk-6-jdk
Client VM not initialized
or Broken pipe a couple of times in the tablet Google Chrome Browser

I am using
Ignition v 7.5.6
Ubuntu 12.04 server
LXDE desktop GUI that installed X11 with it (Since it seems so easy to break other Linux GUIs like Gnome or KDE these days)

Java tester from a browser window on the Ignition server indicates
Java Version: 1.6.0_27 is running

and - java -version - executed from the Ignition server terminal console window indicates
Java Version: “1.6.0_27”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.12.3) (6b27-1.12.3-0ubuntu~12.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)

No luck yet trying the Android VNC client either - connect failed: ECONNREFUSED,
but I can see other machines UltraVNC HMI panels from the Windows 2000 Wonderboxes, that I will be replacing soon, fine on the tablet. IP.Addr:8088/main/web/home comes up fine too

I am by no means a Linux Guru yet, mostly Windows 3.11, 95, 98, NT, Me, 2K, XP, 2003, Vista, 7, but I do see a trend that I am trying to follow here.

1. Any suggestions as to how to debug or what to try from here? A different Java flavor perhaps?

2. Is there going to be a version of Ignition soon for any flavor of Java 7? (Since Java 6 support “officially” ended last month. Breaking Java is a such good idea, if you are into planned obsolescence that is…)

3. Do I just need to bite the bullet for now and pay for a copy of Windows 7 or Server 2008 if the customer wants the mobile option to work?

Many thanks again for such a great product to be able to offer my customers.

S

1. The Mobile Module requires Oracle Java 6 ( not openjdk)
  2. Ignition actually supports Oracle Java 7 (it is just the Mobile Module that requires Java 6 because it implements parts of Java that changed in 7)
  3. Officially, the Mobile Module is not supported on Linux-based Ignition installations - for now at least. It can be made to run on Linux, but it can be pretty tricky. So for now, if you want an officially supported configuration, it has to be the Mobile Module launched by an Ignition installed on Windows. With that, though, it does not really matter what the client mobile device OS is since a mobile project is actually started and run on the server, transmitting the generated HTML5 to the client device.