Java version packaged with each Ignition update?

I just wanted to double check, with each update to Ignition, is the latest JRE packaged up with it?

Not exactly. We update the bundled Java version as new versions are released, but there’s some lead time since, by nature, Java updates can have unexpected breaking changes in the system. For instance, we had to push back a Java update from 8.1.10 because the Ctrl + Space shortcut stopped working on MacOS.

2 Likes

Thanks Paul, good to know

1 Like

@PGriffith Just checking, we are able to install and use our own version of Java as long as it’s v11 right? And how would I tell Ignition to use that other version i’ve installed?

Is it in these lines in the conf? I presume the last line overrides the 1st line?

# Java Application
#  Locate the java binary on the system PATH:
wrapper.java.command=%JAVA_HOME%/bin/java
#  Specify a specific java binary:
set.JAVA_HOME=lib/runtime/jre-win

My %JAVA_HOME% is unset but I do have java installed. Guessing I just need to add it to my path environment variable manually.

And if I wanted to use my own Java, I would need to replace the above with:

# Java Application
#  Locate the java binary on the system PATH:
#  Specify a specific java binary:
# set.JAVA_HOME=lib/runtime/jre-win
# wrapper.java.command=%JAVA_HOME%/bin/java

You can tell the gateway to use a particular java distribution that way, although I think that might be wiped upon upgrade. The runtime distributed to clients and designers will still be whatever’s bundled with the gateway, though. If you want to replace that, you’d have to replace the packaged .zips in the install directory.

That's ok, we're using Perspective so not an issue for clients. Good to know though if we need to do this for Vision.

Our customer just doesn't want to be hamstrung in case an urgent Java patch is released that they need to install (customer is a council requiring high security) and have to wait for a new version of Ignition to be released to apply the patch. Hence wanting to install Java independently and use that.