'javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException' only when running from Gateway only

Hello,

I have a custom module that writes to Azure Date Lake folders. The module has been tested on a development machine and we know it works correctly in client, designer and gateway scopes.

However, when we moved the module to a similar test environment we encounter an odd error. The same module and scripts still work in client and designer scopes. But, when we try to run the exact same code on a gateway timer we get the following:

“Error fetching access token
Operation null failed with exception javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException : sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
Last encountered exception thrown after 5 tries. [javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException,javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException,javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException,javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException,javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException]
[ServerRequestId:null]”

Does anyone have any thoughts why it may be failing on the gateway scoping only? or how to go about narrowing down the cause?

Ken

Was the gateway installed and running as a service in both environments?

Have you checked the version of Java each was running?

Does the new environment have a nosy proxy or router trying to MITM traffic with a corp SSL certificate?

1 Like

Thanks Kevin for the tips...

Was the gateway installed and running as a service in both environments?

Yes, I double checked they are running as a service under USER 'SYSTEM'

Have you checked the version of Java each was running?

Both confirmed Java 8 (191)

Does the new environment have a nosy proxy or router trying to MITM traffic with a corp SSL certificate?

This I will have to check with IT department.

Is it possible that designer and client (which are run under domain USER as opposed to SYSTEM) has different routing rules behind the scenes?

Ken