Jnlp to open a project in designer directly

I am trying to write a jnlp to open a project in designer directly, like below, but with no luck. I tried using ARG_PROJECT and ARG_SCOPE as well but no success. It stops asking me to select the project and click on “open project” button.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
		<jnlp
		  spec="1.0+"
		  codebase="http://localhost:8088/main/"
		  href="system/launch/designer/designer.jnlp">
		  <information>
			<title>Ignition Designer</title>
			<vendor>Inductive Automation</vendor>
			<icon href="web/platform_logo.png"/>
			<offline-allowed/>
			<shortcut online="true">
			  <desktop/>
			  <menu/>
			</shortcut>
		  </information>
		  <security><all-permissions/></security>
		  <resources>
			<j2se version="1.8" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M" java-vm-args="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m"/>
			<j2se version="1.7" initial-heap-size="64M" max-heap-size="1024M" java-vm-args="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m"/>
			<jar href="system/launchbin/launchclient.jar" download="eager"/>
			<property name="javaws.sr.gateway.addr.0" value="localhost:8088:8043/main"/>
			<property name="javaws.sr.launchts" value="1500475006280"/>
			<property name="javaws.sr.scope" value="D"/>
			<property name="javaws.sr.main" value="com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook"/>
			<property name="sun.java2d.d3d" value="false"/>
			<property name="sun.java2d.dpiaware" value="false"/>
			<property name="javaws.sr.memory.init" value="64M"/>
			<property name="javaws.sr.memory.max" value="1024M"/>
		  </resources>
		  <application-desc main-class="com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing">
		  	<argument>scope="D"</argument>
		  	<argument>-Dproject.name="MyProject"</argument>
		  	<argument>-Djavaws.ignition.debug="true"</argument>
		  </application-desc>
		</jnlp>

Any suggestions please?

A long time ago, I used the native client launcher to open the designer to a given project, with authentication on the command line. It only worked in debug mode, which is quite annoying for normal development.

I’ve not seen any such capability with JNLP, and I wouldn’t expect it, since it isn’t available for v8 and up.

turmel, thanks for your insight and you are 100% correct about client launcher option with scope D (designer) as well as annoying debug mode but I don’t expect user to have client launcher running on their machine.

If its a jnlp we can hide it (xml file) in users appdata folder and open the file on button click which internally opens the project in the designer, as basic jre runs on users machine by default. I tried multiple options with no luck :frowning:

Documentation around BootstrapSwing class was not quite clear for me to play around with arguments passed to main() method
http://files.inductiveautomation.com/sdk/javadoc/ignition784rc1/com/inductiveautomation/ignition/client/launch/BootstrapSwing.html

Hope someone finds a solution for this.

You are wasting your time. And don’t expect anybody to spend any time on this. Figure out how to support the native launchers on your client machines or switch to v8 Perspective in the browser. Otherwise you will be in a huge bind when official support for v7.9 ends. (v7.8 is already not supported.)

Thanks again ptrumel. . . I think we just need to move on then, with other approaches. Also it makes sense not to look for a solution that might not be supported in near future. This is just a side learning stuff that I am exploring.