Jython Sockets

I have a question about Jython sockets. My plc is broadcasting CHAR arrays over UDP (length up to 1024 bytes), and I would like to grab them and insert them as a text blob in a table. This would be bypassing the OPC Server and there obviously wouldn’t be a block group for it, but I don’t think that should make a difference to the GUI since it looks like I should be able to access any table I want. Make sense? I have tested the UDP broadcast, and that works fine and is very reliable.

I’ve looked at various sample Python UDP server functions, and can probably get one of those to work. Will this just be a matter of adding a new script module? Can you give me a quick blurb on how you would approach this?

Thanks!

Carl

The problem with doing it in PMI is that there is no way to run the script in the gateway- that is, it would be running on each client instance, which is not what you want. That is, multiple clients may be running, or not running at all… it’s not very solid.

Ideally, it would be integrated in with FactorySQL somehow. There is a basic API that allows you to expose action item functions, and I know for a fact that it’s been used before to retrieve bar codes sent over UDP. So, if you have the ability to program in .NET you might want to look into that. I could probably even get you the source code for that one if you’re interested.

If you don’t have access to visual studios (or aren’t a .net programmer), give me a call on monday… depending on your timeframe and exactly what you’re trying to accomplish we might be able to come up with something. You can just call the 800 number and ask for me.

Regards,