Launching a Project

When trying to Launch a Project, the error below is coming up

GatewayException: Gateway Error 500: Unable to read response from Gateway.
caused by org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The end-tag for element type “Response” must end with a ‘>’ delimiter.

The full error is as follows

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Gateway Error 500: Unable to read response from Gateway.
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:279)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.getResponse(GatewayInterface.java:347)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:219)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:210)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gateway.DTGatewayInterface.loadProject(DTGatewayInterface.java:312)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$ProjectOpenTask.run(IgnitionDesigner.java:1046)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.ProgressDialog$TaskRunner.run(ProgressDialog.java:383)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The end-tag for element type “Response” must end with a ‘>’ delimiter.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.getResponse(GatewayInterface.java:345)
… 6 more

Ignition v7.2.5 (b76)
Java: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_24

Hi,

It’s possible that some error is occurring on the gateway that is cutting the message short. If you log into the gateway and go to Console, do you see any errors reported there around the same time?

Regards,

Yes when i log into the gateway and go to Console, i see errors reported around the same time? Please refer to attached screen grabs. But when i restart the server i was able to launch the project once but then i was unable to launch it again after that.

I am now also not able to launch the project viewer either and this error is now appearing when trying to launch it.

GatewayException: Gateway Error 600: Read timed out
caused by SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

in Full

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Gateway Error 600: Read timed out
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:279)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.getResponse(GatewayInterface.java:397)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:219)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:214)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:658)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.sqltags.impl.ClientTagManagerImpl.getProviderInformation(ClientTagManagerImpl.java:190)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.tree.RootTagManagerNode.loadChildren(RootTagManagerNode.java:25)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.tree.AbstractTagPathTreeNode$Loader.run(AbstractTagPathTreeNode.java:74)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.getResponse(GatewayInterface.java:329)
… 12 more

Ignition v7.2.5 (b76)
Java: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_24

It sounds like you’re running into a deadlock in the gateway. To confirm this, log into the gateway, and go to Console>Threads. It will tell you at the top if there is a deadlock detected- if so, export the thread dump (via the button at the bottom), and upload it here.

I highly suspect that the problem has been fixed, and that upgrading to at least 7.2.10 (the last in the 7.2 line, available from the “archived downloads” section) should fix it. If you post the thread dump, however, I can try to confirm this.

Regards,

Please find attached the thread dump.

thread-dump.txt (93.7 KB)

That stack trace doesn’t show that there is a deadlock - it looks fine.

The first message you posted is quite strange - for some reason, a response from the gateway is getting cut short. What’s the network look like between the computer you’re trying to launch on, and the Ignition Gateway? Does this problem occur on any client machine? What if you go to the actual server that the Gateway is running on: does it happen then?

At this point, I’m suspecting networking issues. Also, 7.2.5 is old. Try upgrading to the latest 7.2 version.

I am unable to launch on any computer including the server the gateway is running on. I am going to upgrade to 7.2.10 today to see what happens. I will keep you posted.

Hi colby,

I am still having those errors come up sometimes when trying to launch the project designer, even though i have upgraded the system to 7.2.11, (it is not occurring all the time, and sometimes i am able to open up the designer). Could i Private Message you the link to the project and could you in turn have a look at it to see if you can see anything out of place?

Hi,

Sure, you can send it to Carl and myself and one of us will take a look.

Regards,

Hi Colby,

I have Carls email address but I don’t have yours.
what is it?

I got the link, I’ll be looking into it today to see if I can reproduce the issue.

Well, I’ve been looking at this and I’m not quite sure what to say.

First of all, I can launch the designer just fine. But, it takes forever! Not sure if it’s better where you are, but the server’s upload capacity seems extremely limited. I could only get 10k/sec from it, and your project named “reporting” is about 10mb, so it took a good 15minutes to load.

Have you done any general network troubleshooting? I still think there are some network issues going on.

An another note, your Reporting project has a whole lot of windows on it that are all set to open on startup. I imagine that project, when opened, gives the Gateway and database quite an extreme load for a while. You may want to stagger the opening of those windows if this becomes a problem.

Hi Carl and Colby,

Thanks for the time you spent on this, yes our servers upload capacity is severely limited but is something we are currently in the process of sorting. In relation to the reporting project, that is rarely opened so would not be as much of a problem.

We have come across another problem when trying to add a device to the OPC-UA (see attached screen grab). It is allowing me to add the row i wish but when i try to save them the progress bar gets to about half way and then freezes. I then close out of the configuration page and then I get a gateway connection error (see attached screen grab).

Would it be possible for you to log onto the project again with the username and password that i emailed to Carl the other day and see if you can see what could be causing this problem. Please note that each device has about 130,000 addresses, could this be the problem and if so we will be able to reduce those numbers.

Ok, now I think you’re running out of memory. You should upgrade to 7.3, where we made tons of improvements to memory usage. Or, run on a 64-bit machine with a 64-bit JVM and allocate more memory to the Gateway.