Limit max rows on a Realtime mode Easy Chart

Is there any way to limit the number of points displayed on an Easy Chart in Realtime mode? The Historical mode has a Max Selection option, which stops someone from making the selection too large. I’m trying to control this on Realtime mode.

Since there’s no explicit option, I’m trying to think of some way to customize the WHERE clause to do this. It’s for a MySQL database, so I don’t have access to Oracle’s ROWNUM pseudocolumn and LIMIT doesn’t go in the WHERE clause.

The reason I need to do this is that when someone changes the range, it’s very easy to select the wrong unit and set the chart to retrieve, say, the past 24 days instead of the past 24 hours. This is especially true on a touchscreen interface. Big queries like that are really hammering our database and causing problems.

I can’t think of any way (short of us adding a realtime range limiting feature, which we should definitely do) to do this. I think using a Classic Chart is the only way you’re going to get this flexibility until we get the aforementioned feature in.