Link alarms to video log

We did a demo this week and the customer was really excited when then saw the webcam stuck in one of the screens.

When we showed the alarm summary screen he asked if it was possible to make it so that an operator could click on an alarm and be linked to the video stream and the time of the alarm. Basicly he wanted to see what was happening when the alarm when off without having to search the stored video to find the right spot.

Has anyone done something like this?

It’s certainly scriptable if you have the right video capture/storage/archiving software. What software would it be?

Can we add a video stream to db gateway module?

Interesting idea… in our online demo (or maybe in the past), we used a custom servlet in the gateway to feed a demo video on loop to any clients. Conceivably, you could do the same thing: write a custom servlet that fed up the correct video. The address of the servlet could be used to specify what time to start at, or you could probably communicate that using a scripting function and module RPC.

Depending on how far back you wanted to allow them to go (are we talking long term archiving, or jumping back a few minutes right when the alarm occurs?), you might not even need any other software: your module could connect to the camera, buffer it to disk, and then provide the servlet that loads from that store.

If you feel up to trying it, we might be able to track down the source for that servlet… it would at least solve that half of the problem.

Regards,

Hi, I am looking to display video clips, as in training or instructional videos. How would I go about this? I was thinking of attempting with the existing component and putting these in a resources folder under Tomcat but I do not believe this will work.

I currently do this via the WMP ActiveX Module. Understand, the ActiveX Module is not supported by IA, since Java wasn’t really made to handle ActiveX. OTOH, as long as I stick to WMV ver 9 encoding, I have not had any problems. MP4 saved on disk space, but was not as reliable in operation.

As an aside, and quite possibly a rant, I refuse to use Microsoft Movie Maker. It wasn’t bad for XP, but the Win7 version is so watered down that it’s practically useless for anything approaching quasi-professional results. I’ve moved on to Corel Video Studio. At $89 dollars it was, IMNSHO, the best bang for the buck.

[quote=“Robert”]We did a demo this week and the customer was really excited when then saw the webcam stuck in one of the screens.

When we showed the alarm summary screen he asked if it was possible to make it so that an operator could click on an alarm and be linked to the video stream and the time of the alarm. Basicly he wanted to see what was happening when the alarm when off without having to search the stored video to find the right spot.

Has anyone done something like this?

It’s certainly scriptable if you have the right video capture/storage/archiving software. What software would it be?

Can we add a video stream to db gateway module?[/quote]

note I wrote this up before I realized this was a zombie post…

Robert - Milestone Xprotect has this ‘transact’ module that will merge transact data with the video data. Lets you click on an ‘event’ and go right to the time/camera.

Thanks Dravik,

I’ll have a look at it.