Loading Ignition Designer gets stuck every time during 'Downloading'

I’ve noticed the problem before, but it was never annoying/frequent enough - usually just a restart made it go away. But now, I don’t think I am able to get into this project at all. Nothing is turning up in the default logs.

I still get the spinning icon so it looks like its its trying to load. Also the project is around 37 MB - I think its fully downloaded but there is something holding the process up.

When ever i get snagged up there its usually because of my internet connection.

I get this as well occasionally. To fix, I either have to restart the client Launcher, or delete the launcher’s cache

1 Like

OK, next question - how do you delete the designer’s cache?

Delete c:/users/.ignition/cache

2 Likes

Another possible fix is increasing the designers memory.

TLDR: I had to delete the "designer" launcher entry from designer launcher, then re-add it manually to resolve the issue. I suspected my issue was due to importing launcher config from a different computer but could not reproduce the error thereafter.

TLDR Update: Seems my issue is related to ESET firewall settings, in a manner I don't quite understand. Will report back once I figure it out, but with firewall paused the problem goes away.

I came across this issue today.

Attempts to load a designer session resulted in a perpetual "loading" screen.

On the few instances designer actually loaded (I walked away for who knows how long) it was missing all Perspective configuration (its a Perspective based project).

Here are my observations, actions and results.

• I restarted the computer (several tries) with no change in results.

• Checked my internet connection, seems fine.

• I then attempted to rename the "%USERHOME%.ignition\cache" as suggested by @nminchin but was blocked as the folder was in-use.

• Using the File Locksmith (Windows PowerToy) I was able to see the file was in use by a java.exe process and a bunch of chromium.exe processes (even though I had already closed all Ignition apps).
    • I ended the java.exe task, which also eliminated all the chromium.exe tasks.
    • I tried launching a designer session again with the same results as before.
  • I then successfully renamed the "%USERHOME%.ignition\cache" folder after manually ending the jave.exe task.

• Subsequent attempts to open designer initially seemed successful, an illusion of activity due to repopulating the cache but designer did not load in a timely manner.

The only contributing factor for the issue I can identify was that I recently switched computers and used the designer-launcher export/import features to bring over old configuration.

• I then deleted the imported "designer" launcher entry in designer launcher and created it again from scratch.
    • After that the designer session loaded quite fast and showed Perspective configuration.

Figuring I hadn't wasted quite enough of my time, I reimported the launcher config that I suspected was the root of the cause to reproduce the issue, but could not reproduce the issue thereafter.

Update: After computer restart the issue came back and I narrowed it down to my ESET firewall (corporately controlled), I had paused that firewall during earlier testing for unrelated reasons and it appears that was the difference, not anything else. As it did not manifest as a complete block (I was prompted to enter credentials and pick a project) a firewall issue was not top of mind.

1 Like