Login fails if special character is used in password

Hello,

I’m experiencing a strange login problem. Here is the context:

Ignition version 7.8.1
OS = Linux 64 bits
locale = fr_FR
User source = Database (not internal)
Login query :

SELECT surname, firstname FROM users WHERE login= ? AND password = ? COLLATE latin1_general_cs

Using the in-built login screen

I have a user with these parameters : user/abc. He can connect without problem. But, when he changes his password to abç (note the “ç”), he won’t be able to connect anymore (Login failed, please retry).
Changing back his password to “abc” allows him to log in correctly.

More strange. When I try the exact same query in the Database Query Browser (in the Designer), it works with both password (ie. the query returns 1 row in both case).

Further tests shows that accentuated letters in password does the same problem. (Fails in inbuilt login window but success when the query is executed in the Designer).

My guess is that it is linked with the locale.

My question is : Is there a way to make the login page work with special caracters ?

PS: I know that passwords should be encrypted but it is just for the test.

I know this is an old post, but i wanted to share my experience in case other people are also pulling out their hair with this..

I also have strange issues when including ! in a password.
I am using the default internal user source.

I set a password for a user that had forgotten theirs to changeme169!
Strangely enough this worked fine for me immediately after changing it, testing in the Vision client (version 8.1.24).
But the next morning the user emailed me saying it wasn't working, and lo and behold, i couldn't get it to work on the Vision client now...

Very strange. I thought maybe it might depend on the OS the Vision Client is installed on, but that doesn't explain why it worked for me one moment, then didn't the next..

Happy pie day. What is the locale? Is it fr_FR as above?

I tried this using external MySQL DB source in vision and perspective, using a password of "123!@#" and it seems to be working fine. I have tried this in 8.1.x. One approach is to try this scenario in the latest version and see if it isolates the problem to Ignition version.

1 Like

Locale is relevant for using external DB right? So not sure it applies to my case. But we are in New Zealand using EN.

And we are on the latest version of 8.1.24 already when this was encountered.

tbh you should never store litteral passwords in your db, hash and salt your passwords, this is way more secure and will prevent weird characters doing weird things